Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not crazy

Need Help With Genetic Testing Results Dr Was Clueless.

I have been eating gluten for over a year so my GI did genetic testing. When I tried to ask about the results he looked at me like I was crazy and could only repeat what was wrote on the paper "celiac gene pairs are present". Then after I refused to do a 2 month gluten challenge to be tested he told me there wasn't anything else he could do and sent me on my way.

DQ alpha1: 01,03

DQ beta 1: 03:02,05

If someone could help me figure out which I have (DQ2,DQ8) it would be great. I tried to look at the Wikipedia links posted but the only Internet access I have is my phone and it wasn't working to well.

Thanks

I have been eating gluten for over a year so my GI did genetic testing. When I tried to ask about the results he looked at me like I was crazy and could only repeat what was wrote on the paper "celiac gene pairs are present". Then after I refused to do a 2 month gluten challenge to be tested he told me there wasn't anything else he could do and sent me on my way.

If someone could help me figure out which I have (DQ2,DQ8) it would be great. I tried to look at the Wikipedia links posted but the only Internet access I have is my phone and it wasn't working to well.

Thanks

I don't have any expert knowledge on genetic testing since I was only tested for antibodies and had the endoscopy.  What I have read is that gene testing only determines if you are at risk for celiac disease.  

Here's a link that might be helpful:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/21567/1/Ten-Facts-About-Celiac-Disease-Genetic-Testing/Page1.html

Your GI might not be an expert on explaining the lab results, but the message was clear:   "celiac gene pairs are present"

So, it looks like you have the risk of getting celiac disease.   You can do two things:  1)  consume gluten for the next two to three months, get the antibody tests and/or the endo, or 2) stay away from gluten as it appears you have been doing for the last year (not clear on your message).  

Sorry. That should of said I have been eatting gluten FREE for over a year. The GI did the genetic tests to rule out celiac since blood tests wouldn't be helpful. One dr ran half the blood tests even after I explained I had been gluten free for a year. So wasn't surprised they were negative. But the negative results just made him think its all in my head more then he already thought. (He said I just needed to excerise more, take some antidepressants and some sleeping pills)

Guess what I'm asking is, based on my results do I have HLA DQ 2 or the HLA DQ 8 gene. I know I have the genes I just don't know which ones.

The GI wanted me to do a gluten challenge since I do have the genetics but I refused. There is no way I could handle 2 months of gluten. I tried one meal with gluten. Took a week before I could eat anything with out feeling like I was going to throw up. Joint bone and muscle pain came back along with brain fog, mood swings and anxiety. Another time i Had to work in the kitchen at work 3 times within a couple weeks. Ended up with an anxiety attack and so much pain and brain fog I missed 2 weeks of work. Doctor put a restriction of no kitchen on my FLMA papers when I returned. HR didn't like that and I lost my management position because I can no longer preform all the job requirements.

Looks like your're on the right track!  

My husband's been gluten-free for 12 years.  No one thought to test him for Celiac Disease, but two docs (his GP and my allergist), suggested giving up wheat/gluten.  It took a year for him to realize that he really did have a problem with gluten.  He now refuses to do a challenge (why bother?)  He's happy and now our household is pretty much gluten-free except for some packaged snacks for my daughter's lunches.  

So sorry to hear about your work and health issues.  Hopefully, things will continue to improve for you (and for me too!)

Thanks

you need Nora!  and where is the other half?

Thanks

There has to be more on the report than that. Any more writing, anything....details about the alleles??? What lab did the testing?