Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Adams

Australian Celiacs Face Industry Push To Allow Gluten In 'gluten-Free' Foods - Celiac.com

Celiac.com

Australian Celiacs Face Industry Push to Allow Gluten in 'Gluten-free' Foods

Celiac.com

Celiac.com 07/09/2013 - In Australia, and New Zealand, people with celiac disease currently benefit from regulations that require food sold as "gluten-free" to contain no detectable levels of gluten. Photo: CC--Vintuitive However, that may be set to ...

View the full article

Interestingly, the information that I see in Australia conveys it is a consumer push to a large degree. Having lived in Australia for 18 months has been life changing for our family. With Coeliac, wheat/gluten allergy and gluten hypersensitivity, the "no detectable limit" has been invaluable for us. We live so comparatively "normal" now! The community support and awareness also plays a big part in that, but that support is bolstered by the fact that "truly gluten free" (as much as humanly possible) food is so readily available here. Sometimes I worry that the Australan and New Zealand consumers may not recognize the underlying benefits of having such tight standards.

Any recommendations in influencing how this issue develops? We even found adopting a "Made in Australia/New Zealand" processed food rule while we awaited our move to Australa to be helpful in gaining more flexibility in our American diet. I hope they maintain standards at least as good as they are now. And I wish the rest of the world would follow their lead a bit more.