Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lexibrowning

New Symptoms When Glutened?

I meant to post this topic ages ago when I was on vacation, but it totally slipped my mind until just now.

When I was going through my lovely glutening experience earlier this month I started to notice that my throat would feel kind of itchy immediately after eating something that contained gluten.  When I was on vacation I was extremely good at staying away from gluten, but I ended up getting contaminated by some Annie's cheddar bunnies that I thought were gluten free (even though it says ORGANIC WHEAT in big letters on the box *face palm*).  Immediately after eating the handful of bunnies, my throat seemed irritated and itchy.  I've never noticed that before.  

Anyone else have new symptoms just randomly pop up??

My sinuses like to participate in my glutening parties, even playing host if the source was from air-born particles. 

You can get contaminated by breathing it in?! 

Yes. Most people mention that they can't go into bakeries that make gluten products because of the dust in the air, and I've walked out of a restaurant where I was seated too close to their prep area for making pizza. I have been glutened from cleaning an area where wheat-based kitty litter had previously been used, though without gastro symptoms, just sinuses and all of the anger/headache/brain fog after.

Yes. Most people mention that they can't go into bakeries that make gluten products because of the dust in the air, and I've walked out of a restaurant where I was seated too close to their prep area for making pizza. I have been glutened from cleaning an area where wheat-based kitty litter had previously been used, though without gastro symptoms, just sinuses and all of the anger/headache/brain fog after.

Learning all of this makes me terrified of the world! Goodness :(  I guess I will just have to watch out for that.  

You can get contaminated by breathing it in?! 

if you breathe it in and swallow it (ingest it) - don't hang out in bakeries, lolz  ;)

grocery store in-store bakeries don't really do much 'baking' - most of their stuff is premade/pre-portioned.  they might *bake* the bread in-store, but there isn't much flour flying around from removing a dough ball from a package and putting it into a baking tray.  i have been in bakeries and been fine, anyway.  i suppose it depends on your degree of sensitivity but don't let it make you hide in the closet!  just be careful and wash your hands before you eat.  and stay away from those evil bunnies  :o

my sinuses are part of the glutening because they get inflamed/swollen, along with the rest of my body when i ingest gluten accidentally.  and then, sometimes i breathe pollen and i sneeze atchoo - or mold is probably a biggie with all the rain we have had!!