Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Christine0125

Children's Allergy Medications

My celiac daughter is having some fall allergy issues.  My son (non-celiac) who has more severe allergies takes allegra chewables however I cannot find any concrete info on whether these are gluten free so I hesitate to give her those.  I did read that Zyrtec chewables contain gluten.  Any recommendation on a gluten free children's allergy medication?  I did check glutenfreedrugs.com but they don't differentiate between adult and children meds on the list and I suspect they could be different especially with the chewables. 

My four-year-old with celiac also uses grape-flavored chewable Claritin. She takes it every day during pollen season.

She also occasionally takes Target brand chewable Children's Allergy Melts (diphenhydramine HCl, 12.5 mg, grape flavor - i.e., generic Benadryl). The Target one does not say it's gluten-free on the package, but someone on this forum recommended it. I called the company a month or two ago and they researched it with the manufacturer and confirmed that it's gluten free. I tend to be more wary of generics in general and re-verify the gluten-free status with the manufacturer each time I buy it, but we haven't had any problems and my daughter's very sensitive. It's generic Benadryl, though, so it causes sleepiness and is really only useful at night.