This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long For Results?

mshanson3121

mshanson3121 Rookie

Once you went gluten-free, I'm wondering how long it was until you saw consistent improvements in the areas of:

sleep?

bowel habits (specifically chronic constipation, floating stool and mucusy stool)

behaviors

sensory issues

gassiness

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

Everyone is different for us my DD was 7 at the time with completely atrophied Villi .

Sleep -1-2 weeks

Bowels - mildly better in 2 weeks but she had underlying issue's with Lactose( we didn't realize for 2 yrs)  and a undiagnosed  Thyroid problem 

Behaviors - they got worse before better , almost 2 months

sensory issue's - about a year

Gassiness -  years due to lactose intolerance and Thyroid problems

If I could go back I would immediately cut out as much lactose as possible to get a better picture in the beginning. We switched to Lactaid and hard cheese or lactose free cheese and eating yogurt at near room temperature and it's made a huge difference almost immediately. 

emsimms Apprentice

Everyone is different for us my DD was 7 at the time with completely atrophied Villi .

Sleep -1-2 weeks

Bowels - mildly better in 2 weeks but she had underlying issue's with Lactose( we didn't realize for 2 yrs)  and a undiagnosed  Thyroid problem 

Behaviors - they got worse before better , almost 2 months

sensory issue's - about a year

Gassiness -  years due to lactose intolerance and Thyroid problems

If I could go back I would immediately cut out as much lactose as possible to get a better picture in the beginning. We switched to Lactaid and hard cheese or lactose free cheese and eating yogurt at near room temperature and it's made a huge difference almost immediately. 

What does the yogurt at room temperature accomplish? Is it just easier on the system than cold yogurt?

mshanson3121 Rookie

Is it common for behavior to get worse initially when you switch to gluten-free?

greenbeanie Enthusiast

Once you went gluten-free, I'm wondering how long it was until you saw consistent improvements in the areas of:

sleep?

bowel habits (specifically chronic constipation, floating stool and mucusy stool)

behaviors

sensory issues

gassiness

My daughter's sleep improved within days (fell asleep easier, and less twitching and thrashing around in her sleep). She'd had huge, loose stools rather than constipation, but that started to improve within days. I think it was about 3-4 weeks before they stopped floating. Her sensory issues, which had been pretty acute, also improved steadily starting in the first week, but it was a few months before people who didn't live with her noticed a big difference. She's now been gluten free for six months and is still somewhat sensitive to sound and scratchy fabrics, but it's much better and still improving. I have to say, the gassiness hasn't changed much...but it doesn't seem painful or uncomfortable for her.

As for behavior, we did have a roller coaster with that. The first few days were great, but then things went downhill for a week or two. I assumed it was gluten withdrawal, and we just rode it out. There was steady improvement after that. Right before diagnosis, she had 5-10 tantrums almost every day. Within a month, she had two tantrums a day at most, and often none.

Overall, it pretty much felt like she had colic for the first four years of her life, but within two months she seemed well within the normal range of behaviors and temperament for a child her age.

Archived