KCG91

Hayfever And The Gluten Free Diet

Rate this topic

When I read up on celiac disease following my diagnosis I noticed a lot of anecdotes about people who do not have celiac disease adopting a gluten-free diet in support of a relative or partner (or just for other health reasons) and noticing an improvement with their hayfever.

My boyfriend suffers terrible hayfever, medicine doesn't touch it, and the gluten-free diet is something he's considering to try and tackle it (He doesn't have celiac disease). Does anyone have any experience of this or know where I could find more info about it? Many thanks!

(Yes, it was when hayfever cropped up in one of our first conversations of the New Year that he decided to have another good go at beating it...) 

Before I was diagnosed, I started seeing a naturopathic doctor (after 20+ years of allergies, including 5+ years of allergy shots).  Before making any changes, she did a blood test to see if I had any food sensitivities.  Gluten and wheat were off the charts, so we did a Celiac panel - came back positive.  In addition to giving up gluten, I also had to give up dairy, yeast, citrus, and oats.  I did this for 2 months, and then started to challenge the different foods.  Next month will be my 2 year mark.

I have been able to add back some dairy - goat cheese and hard cheese only.  No milk/butter/soft cheese - they all cause my allergies to be much worse.  I can go from feeling fine to having severe post nasal drip with just a few days of having a little bit of cheese on a salad.  In the past few months, I have cheated a little on the milk/butter front - mostly when I am out and don't want to deal with it.  I should try to get back on the wagon though :)

The other thing that sometimes causes problems if I have too much of it is yeast.  I was eating a lot of kombucha and kefir (coconut milk variety), and my sinuses started acting up. So I gave it up for another few months, and did another challenge and it was OK.  

I am still on all my allergy meds (though I am hoping to get off them someday), but now they are at least under control.  It used to be that I would be on all of the meds, and still have more symptoms that most people.

If you can't get the blood test, you could always try an elimination diet for a couple of months, and start adding foods back one at a time.  I think I usually did a challenge for 3-5 days - except for dairy.  Dairy i did for 5-7 days and did it incrementallly (hard cheese, then soft cheese, etc).  

Good luck!

I don't know if gluten-free has helped also, but cutting out milk and refined foods and all cane sugar products worked for me. I did this last May and have only had trivial bits of hey fever since. I have some dairy now but will cut it out again if needed when the change of season hits.

When I read up on celiac disease following my diagnosis I noticed a lot of anecdotes about people who do not have celiac disease adopting a gluten-free diet in support of a relative or partner (or just for other health reasons) and noticing an improvement with their hayfever.

My boyfriend suffers terrible hayfever, medicine doesn't touch it, and the gluten-free diet is something he's considering to try and tackle it (He doesn't have celiac disease). Does anyone have any experience of this or know where I could find more info about it? Many thanks!

Maybe he has allergy to wheat instead of celiac. I do and it is a symptom of wheat allergy. I didn't know that food allergies can cause respiratory symptoms until I was diagnosed with wheat allergy at 28 years old. So maybe a food allergy test would tell?