Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

BelleVie

Can Stress Trigger Type 1 Diabetes In Prone Individuals?

Rate this topic

I've learned that autoimmune disorders tend to come in groups, and it absolutely terrifies me that I could potentially develop diabetes. I have major problems with dealing with my stress levels, and know that I need to learn some healthy ways of decompressing, but I (I cringe as I type this) just haven't really found the time to figure it out. I know it's important and needs attention. 

Is there anything that celiacs can do to minimize the risk of developing diabetes (and other AI issues, for that matter?)? Is it the same as type II in that it can be triggered by consumption of too much sugar? I hope these questions don't come off as silly, I don't know much about diabetes at all. 

Hi BelleVie,

I have diabetes and I can try to explain the different types as I understand them.

Type 2 involves insulin resistance and sometimes poor insulin production. This is often diagnosed in overweight, sedentary individuals but there are certainly exceptions to this rule.

Type 1 is autoimmune and was once thought to only be found in children...this has been disproved and experts now know that Type 1 can develop in adults, too. I'm one example. I have what is called LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes Adult onset) and sometimes it is coined Diabetes Type 1.5. I have the auto-antibodies of Type 1 but still just enough pancreatic function to not require insulin at the moment. My condition was discovered after many pregnancies that required insulin from just after the moment of conception...okay, maybe that parts an exaggeration  :)   

I have to run but I hth clear the difference up some.