simplemom

Do Celiac Symptoms Go Away Or Change With Time?

Rate this topic

In researching celiac during the pre testing period for my son, I have had some of the symptoms, but throughout life they haven't gotten worse, some have improved. As a toddler and young child I vomited frequently, but we didn't have health insurance and my mom never had me tested for anything. I had 4 permanent teeth that came in with only partial enamel, but the dentist said that could have been due to my vomiting frequently during the formative years of my permanent teeth. I've had an acne like rash on my back only off and on for over 20 years, it's barely noticeable now, but we eat low wheat in the house since my husband has wheat allergies. I have been eating more wheat since my son is right now to get proper celiac testing, and my now barely noticeable rash on my back started itching a little bit. I've been anemic at times, but better diet and supplements helped, I 'm not anemic now and haven't been since my last pregnancy 6 years ago.. I have had gallbladder pain off and on (I think is due to sludge) since my first pregnancy 8 years ago (it was frequent with my first pregnancy unless I didn't cheat on a low fat diet, now I just have to be careful to not have higher fat foods too much or I might have a gallbladder attack). I didn't have gallstones 8 years ago , though, just a contracted gallbladder. In recently researching celiac symptoms, I found that the floating stools I have can be a sign of fat malabsorption which can be a celiac symptom, but thinking that could equally be due to gallbladder disease. Since eating less wheat as a family, my husband less than the rest of us, when we do travel and I eat wheat or processed foods for several days, I now get joint aches in both knees and sometimes both elbows. This is just bothersome pain, not real bad, but it does clear up after I get settled back into our whole foods, low wheat diet at home.

I would guess if I had celiac as a child I would have stayed sick with the vomiting, and the symptoms throughout life that may or may not be gluten related would have come and stayed or gotten worse. I am thinking that all my listed seemingly temporary symptoms could be unrelated to gluten. Other than the above listed things, I am quite healthy and live a full life. I will know if my son has celiac antibodies in a couple of weeks, if so I will get tested sooner vs. later since I've been eating wheat everyday along with him the past several weeks. But, if his test is negative, I'm not sure whether or not to bring celiac testing up to my MD. I hate to tell the MD too many symptoms since she will encourage me to have my gallbladder removed, and I want to try to save it with a better diet if at all possible. It would be nice to know from those who have celiac if their symptoms came and went mildly through the years, or do the symptoms stay once they show up until a gluten free diet is started.

TIA.

Actually doctors used to think that kids with celiac could "outgrow" it because often their symptoms would be reduced or even go away. But they still had celiac and their bodies were still being damaged. I believe my Mom was one of them. She had symptoms when she was a child although I don't even think they knew what celiac was back then (1930's). But when she was in her 50's she got slammed with symptoms again and by then she had permanent damage. Her villi never completely healed and she had to have vitamin injections for the rest of her life.

Yes, symptoms can change.

I would vote for having a complete celiac antibody panel given that you are consistently eating gluten right now.  Some children don't test positive for antibodies...so I wouldn't base your decision on your child's tests.

Simply explain to your doctor that you have numerous symptoms that could be celiac and you would like to have the complete antibody test before making a decision regarding your gall bladder as if this is celiac, removing gluten could be the answer rather than unnecessarily removing your gallbladder.  It is a completely valid request.

Hang in there :)

If the rash on my back were to return, would it be easier to just ask for a referral to a dermatologist and get a skin biopsy? Thanks for all the information above!

It would be a good idea, but I would not say it is easier and not necessarily better...not all dermatologists have experience with the biopsy for Dermatitis Herpetiformis which must be done next to the lesion.

I strongly advise completing a celiac antibody blood panel while you are consuming gluten and if the rash returns having it biopsied.  

Limiting testing options is not a good idea - in my opinion.