Rate this topic

I was here a while ago for my mum, and have some more info if you guys could help me. Here's the link to the old post. http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/106844-please-help/

Basically we just got my mum's blood tests back, and they were negative. We decided to try her on a gluten free diet 8 days ago, and her stomach pain and diarrhoea disappeared. Last night we tried a gluten challenge at 9.25 by eating one scone with butter, she woke up this morning fine, but at quarter to twelve she started to have severe stomach pain, then diarrhoea, that was yellow! Where do we go from here, in terms of her blood tests coming back normal?

Good Morning Manda!

If you don't have them already, request written or electronic copies of her tests.  Most doctors do not run a full celiac antibody panel -- only one or two of the screening tests.  If you post her results in this thread -- try to include the reference ranges -- we can better answer the where do you go from here question.

She does need to eat gluten each and every day until you are certain she is done with celiac testing -- blood and endoscopy biopsy, should she decide to have an endo.  One slice of glutenous bread per day is sufficient.

If she cannot tolerate any gluten, well you have an answer.  She is minimally Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitive (NCGS) and may have Celiac Disease.

The celiac testing process can be extremely frustrating - Hang in there :)

Good Morning Manda!

If you don't have them already, request written or electronic copies of her tests.  Most doctors do not run a full celiac antibody panel -- only one or two of the screening tests.  If you post her results in this thread -- try to include the reference ranges -- we can better answer the where do you go from here question.

She does need to eat gluten each and every day until you are certain she is done with celiac testing -- blood and endoscopy biopsy, should she decide to have an endo.  One slice of glutenous bread per day is sufficient.

If she cannot tolerate any gluten, well you have an answer.  She is minimally Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitive (NCGS) and may have Celiac Disease.

The celiac testing process can be extremely frustrating - Hang in there :)

Thanks! She's asking for a paper copy tomorrow when she has her next appointment. She's been referred for an endoscopy, but she's decided she can't put up with the pain of the gluten challenge. Can NCGS be inherited, because I've been having a lot of issues lately, and food allergies run in our family?