Pollymo

Cholesterol And Vitamin Issues

Rate this topic

I am 8 months into my new life ( positive for celiac thru blood tests.) I had a panel of tests run yesterday to see how my numbers are looking. Celiac panel isn't back yet but my cholesterol came back. Both good and bad were high. Plus, vitamin d and b12 were still really low. Is there a correlation to this? I was told to start taking supplements. What is a recommended brand of gluten-free vitamins? Thanks!

Welcome to our community.

B12 deficiency is very common in folks with celiac disease, both before and after diagnosis. Any vitamin deficiency may be related to damage to the villi, which can take a long time to recover after going gluten-free.

Cholesterol highes and lows seem common in celiacs. The system wide inflammation can help raise cholesterol, and then some of us have too low cholesterol (I'm guessing from issues with absorbing fats). I'm glad your HDL is looking good. Many celiacs find the LDL comes down as they cut many grains (and the sugar it creates) from their diet.

Sublingual (dissolves in mouth) B12 and D are a great place to start. Vitamins absorbed into the mouth are thought to work better for celiacs. Most drugstores will carry those.

Best wishes