mama2ama

Gluten Free On The Go? No Rehet, Walk N Eat

Rate this topic

Hi all. This is my first post here and I'm hoping you can help me. I have an 8 year old daughter who was diagnosed as non celiac gluten intolerant a year ago. She luckily has no other limitations to her diet and feels much better living gluten-free. We are going on a camping trip in a few days and will be visiting a local amusement park on the last day of our trip. I need a meal we can make in the morning and pack to eat while walking around the park. Eating there makes me a bit uneasy, but I can't reheat anything, and there aren't many places to sit with more than just a bench. I also don't have access to a whole lot of specialty gluten-free ingredients here like wraps or a decent bread. Any ideas on a brown bag type lunch option?

Nuts, crackers, fruit, seed trail mixes, Skittles, string cheese ( depends on how long and how hot - cheese is usually fine for a few hours out of the cooler), packets of PB, Gopicnic boxes.

Have you checked that they will let you bring food in? Some places are pretty bad about that. Some places have lockers at the front of the park and you can leave a small cooler or insulated lunch bag in them.

Even if you don't get one of these, look at what is in them for some ideas.

http://www.gopicnic.com/GoPicnic-Meals_2/Gluten-Free_2

Freeze some grapes and use the grapes as your "ice", bring in some lunch meat, fresh veges and a dip, any sweet treat she likes, etc.  Get a well insulated cooler bag and keep in a locker or something out of the sun until it's time to eat.