Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonesy3449

Symptoms Getting Worse. Ideas?

I was diagnosed with celiac around 9 months ago with a blood test and endoscopy. I have been eating gluten free since then and had a few months of feeling a little better but over the last couple months my gut issues have returned and gotten worse. I eliminated all dairy products and I'm out of ideas. Anybody else in the same boat?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was diagnosed with celiac around 9 months ago with a blood test and endoscopy. I have been eating gluten free since then and had a few months of feeling a little better but over the last couple months my gut issues have returned and gotten worse. I eliminated all dairy products and I'm out of ideas. Anybody else in the same boat?

Are you taking any medications?  Doing any cooking with natural flavors ie vanilla, eating pickles on a regular basis, etc.?  I can only speak from my experience but I discovered that my meds contained gluten, natural flavors can contain gluten.  If natural vanilla flavoring is made from vodka distilled from wheat, it will make me react.  Dextrin makes me react.  You may want to look a little closer at the ingredients and check www.glutenfreemeds.com to make sure that your medications, Rx or OTC are gluten free as well.  It was a real eye opener to me.

Join eNewsletter

Is your house gluten free? My family had to stop having any gluten in the house while I healed. As we start getting less gluten, it can actually make us much sicker than when we were being constantly bombarded with it.

Other than that - we can still have all the other normal issues. My gallbladder was necrotic - actually put me in hospital several times with "food poisoning". Had the social workers come in and "explain" how to keep my food "safe". I finally had to meet with a surgeon and demand that he look at me and TALK to me not the tests results. They could not believe that I had survived with a dead organ or that the tests showed it working "within normal limits" (I just love that phrase - like I am a Star Trek machine instead of a living breathing human being.)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter