Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Last night my husband and I had potato skins made by Heinz.  I did my research, searched numerous websites including Heinz's website.  Everywhere I looked said they were gluten free so I ate them.  This morning I am ill from gluten ingestion.  I read the label and noticed that there is dextrin listed in the ingredient label. 

How do I know if dextrin is safe or not or is it never safe?  Is there a way to tell if dextrin has a wheat component or like natural flavors, soy sauce, vinegar, etc. should it just be if present do not eat?

I am so very sensitive that even vinegar will make me ill if they are distilled from wheat.  Yes, I know that everyone says the protein doesn't pass through the process.  However, I have gotten very ill from eating nothing but dill pickles.  The only dill pickles that don't make me ill are Mount Olive brand which doesn't distill their vinegar from wheat.

Thanks,

Kathleen

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Kathleen,

Dextrin is usually made from corn, but can be made from wheat.  Good news is that if it is made from wheat, in the US, it must say so on the label.  The illness may just be from eating junk food, or cross contamination.  Also, remember not every illness is caused by gluten.  Aside from gluten problems, tummy aches can come from various foods and bugs that can give us similar symptoms, so sometimes we Celiacs can be too quick to pull the trigger on a usual culprit.  

Also, I do want to let you know that we have a section for people who consider themselves to be super sensitive Celiacs, such as those who feel they react from vinegar, which is generally a safe ingredient for most people with Celiac disease.  The answers on the general forum are going to be from all Celiac sufferers, so please feel free to use that category to restrict answers to those who understand the needs of the super sensitive.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter