Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ramtar

Stroganoff Help!

Hi there! I've been cooking gluten free foods for my husband for the last 4 years and have kept it pretty simple. However, I'm craving some beef stroganoff and want to make it gluten-free for my husband. Has anyone made a gluten-free version? I've made other gluten-free cream of whatever soups like cheddar and chicken but where I'm living we don't have access to mushrooms very often. Any ideas? Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I make both beef and chicken stroganoff gluten free.  I use a little bit of corn starch or potato starch in mine to thicken (I have even used minute tapioca in a recipe for thickening)     I just tried a new recipe that called for cashewbutter and greek yogurt, as a thickener, I didn't feel like either did a good job adding thickness, but the dish was outstanding.   

As far as mushrooms if you can't get fresh ones can you find dried ones?     Worse case, canned ones? 

Join eNewsletter

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Are you needing a gluten-free mushroom soup? Pacific makes a really good cream of mushroom that is interchangeable with Campbell's.

If it is not available where you live (Hey, I'm in Mississippi. A lot of stuff is not available here.) you can probably order it from the company or from one of the "order anything" type sites.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter