Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am 2.5 years post diagnosis. I have had a celiac panel done six months after diagnosis and then each year since. I am always eager to get those test results since I had no symptoms when I was diagnosed, and have never felt "glutened" even though I'm sure I must have made some mistakes along the way. Luckily the results of the Celiac Panel have been very good-- my antibodies in the normal range. 

When my GI sent me my most recent results , he wrote 

- the Celiac Panel lab result is normal and this is good news.
- this means the disease is in remission

I was apalled that he used the word remission. No! The Celiac disease did not go away --- it's being controlled with a gluten free diet! He---sadly--- is the same GI - who after my first follow up appointment suggested that since I healed so well that I can occasionally treat myself "to a special treat" ( I did not follow that advice)

So I did some research -- and on the University of Chicago's website - which I think is one of the best - it states:

you can assess remission if everything is perfectly fine clinically. In other words, if the symptoms that were present prior to a gluten-free diet have not returned, you may be able to assume the disease continues to be in remission.

I was so surprised that they used the word remission as well. I think that the word remission is very misleading -- making it sound like the disease has gone away. Just like a diabetic who depends on insulin still has diabetes -- I feel that Celiacs who depend on a gluten-free diet still have Celiac.

What do you all think of the word remission?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think it the correct term to use.  Remission does not mean the disease has gone away but has become dormant....the symptoms have disappeared as a result of treatment, which would be the gluten-free diet.  It becomes squirrely when you are an asymptomatic Celiac or have symptoms that are atypical.

Congratulations on the success of your diet!

Join eNewsletter

Yeah, remission is not the same as cured.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Popular Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-m):

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member