Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

Along with Gluten, Inulin is now on our “do not ingest list”!

I have read a few posts where people have been talking about GI problems after eating products that contain inulin.  Both my my wife (non celiac) and myself have experienced VERY negative side effects after consuming food products that contained inulin.

After a quick Google search I came across two articles that compare the good and bad of this so-called ingredient.

These two statements below jumped out at me after reading the articles.  Those with Celiac already have problems with malabsorption, “leaky gut”, gas and bloating; but yet the food industry is adding inulin to “gluten free” foods for consumption by those with already problematic GI systems.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2015/05/05/what-is-inulin-chicory-root-fiber

If you’re someone who routinely suffers from problematic gas and bloating, you may find it way more comfortable to limit your intake of highly fermentable fibers like inulin, even from the nutritious whole foods described above. Similarly, scanning the ingredient labels of these foods for “inulin” or “chicory root” is also advisable.

http://www.naturalnews.com/022356_inulin_food_ingredients.html

Recent studies have shown that inulin/FOS encourages the growth of Klebsiella, a bacteria implicated in Ankylosing Spondylitis and in increased intestinal permeability (leaky gut).

So, if you’re like me who still experiences occasional GI distress after being gluten free for almost ten years you just might be putting something in your body that mimics some of the symptoms of celiac.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

On 6/23/2015 at 8:10 AM, Mr. Pep'r said:

Along with Gluten, Inulin is now on our “do not ingest list”!

I need a copy of this list lol will save me a lot of pain and confusion. Just figuring out that I can't tolerate inulin as an ingredient. I think I'm fine eating whole foods like onions and garlic but when an ingredient list has inulin or Chicory root fiber listed I have a reaction similar to gluten. I'm 11 years gluten-free yet still learning what works or not. 

Join eNewsletter