Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Dsa

Anxiety, ocd since gluten free / medicine absorption / slippery elm

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I posted a similar posting over in the research forum but thought it may be more fitting here:

I was diagnosed with celiac disease last year June and have been on a strict diet ever since. However since about a month after my diagnosis and diet change I have experienced am onset of ocd and anxiety. I am on topamax and lamictal for unclarified migraine / epileptic type symptoms (not seizures) and have been for a few years :

Is it possible that since going gluten free the medicine is absorbed differently (I.e more purely?)

I have long suspected that I may be suffering from some form of hypothyroidism, but I have had repeated tests and now just had a full panel - which returned normal.

I've been thinking about trying slippery elm to try repair stomach lining / villi, because I believe my medicine dosage may be too high now, and slippery elm may put the absorption back in line to before I went gluten free (I.e when not much was being absorbed) is this a possibility? 

Has anyone else experienced this ? I find doctors don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks all,

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Did you get your thyroid tested for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?  It is harder to get diagnosed as some of the test results come back in "normal" ranges, if the doctor did not order the tests for the auto immune disease.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's before going gluten free.  I did have to adjust the medication level to a lower dose, as my get was absorbing better.

None of us are real doctors so please get your medication levels evaluated by your doctor and do not start any supplements without medical guidance.

I also suggest you get you vitamin and mineral levels tested.  Celiacs can be deficient in so many nutrients.  i.e. Vitamin B 12 deficiency can have anxiety as a symptom.  Most "silent" Celiacs get diagnosed from severe anemia.

Most of the gluten free food substitutions are not vitamin and nutrient fortified like the gluten counterparts you were eating.  Discuss with your doctor about a gluten free vitamin supplement.

The bold type is part of the new system bugs.  I couldn't get it to turn off after an accidental bump.

Edited by mommida

Michigan

Join eNewsletter

This might be interesting to you

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18569985

http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/nutritional-disorders/vitamin-deficiency-dependency-and-toxicity/thiamin

Do get your vitamin levels tested.

I would not recommend slippery elm because it produces a slime that is difficult to break down.

Edited by knitty kitty
Additional information added.

Join eNewsletter

Hi and thank you for your responses, it is much appreciated.

I went for a few blood tests last week - my S-TSH, S-FT4, and S-FT3 are all within normal range as well as TG and TPO anti bodies (also well within normal) So I suppose I have covered that?

As far as vitamins are concerned, I have been taking slow mag magnesium and B12 with folic acid for a while in the mornings - I have recently added Metagenics Cortico B5 B6 to assist with adrenal function.

I hope the Cortico will help perhaps.

Thanks again,

D

Join eNewsletter