This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone tried using 7% whole potato flour for Gluten Free Bread making?

Mr Wheat Free

Mr Wheat Free Newbie

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone has tried using a small amount of Whole Potato Flour or Instant Dried Mashed Potato Powder in their Gluten Free baking?

I was reading how wheat flour contains around 4.5% gluten which absorbs 6 times it's weight in water. This prevents the starch in the wheat flour from turning into gelatine.

Dried potato absorbs 4 times its weight in water, so in theory adding 7% potato flour or dried instant mash potato powder to Gluten Free flour should have the same water absorbing effect.

Some science papers on the internet have said that potato flour also increases shelf life and prevents the bread from going stale.

I've tried experimenting with different amounts of dried potato powder and 7% seems to be the magic number, though my baking skills aren't really good enough to know what other types of flour and starch should be used with it.

Perhaps some of the Gluten Free chefs out there would like to do some experimenting :)

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lpellegr Collaborator

Many of the homemade gluten-free flour recipes do include potato starch (not potato flour) in them, such as Bette Hagman's flour mix.  I think you'll see it often in the older recipes before people started experimenting with flours with more protein (sorghum, millet, etc).  It is indeed a useful additive in the right proportion.

• 5 weeks later...
heliosue Apprentice

If you have tried using the potato flour, I hope you will post results.  I bought some a few months ago thinking it was potato starch and haven't found a way to use it, except for a few recipes I've read recently that have small amounts added to the total bread recipe.  Looking forward to finding out if it worked for you.

Mr Wheat Free Newbie

I did some experimenting with 93% Corn Starch and 7% Dried Potato and the result was a bit like dry cake.

I've also read some scientific papers that said that 75% Starch,18% Rice Flour and 8% Tapioca Starch produced the lightest, softest bread, though Tapioca Starch can make the bread feel 'slippery'. Tapioca can also cause stomach pains for some people.

I know that Potato Starch makes much softer bread and cakes than Corn Starch, so perhaps 75% Potato Starch, 18% Rice Flour & 7% Dried Potato or Potato Flour would work.

Archived