Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Zachm

Who else is a college student with Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

I am currently a Community College student in NC, though I graduate this spring, and since diagnosis in July of last year, I have had to do all online. Now school has been super dooper cheap at the community college level, but I have to go to a 4 year institute next fall and I have been looking at online and broken it down to two: University of Florida and UNC-Greensboro. My pros and cons: UF has the exact major I have been studying for-BA in Psychology, but the tuition is $556.62 a credit hour since I am not a resident. UNC-G is roughly $160 a credit hour, but the "closest" thing to my major is Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences. I am not made of money, nor are my parents (parents actually went through all of their savings when my dad cut his hand nearly off working which resulted in his right hand not really functioning and mix that with me not being able to work because I am literally sick constantly) I am not using that as a wine or pity me, but what do yall do? I know there has to be another online celiac student. How did you make it? Which route would you go? I still have to do grad school after for Masters in Mental Health Counseling.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had to withdraw 3 credit hours short of my degrees (I was in a duel degree program) because of celiac. Not because I had it but because I was undiagnosed at the time.  I also thought of going the online route but decided not to because I learn better with interaction and gave myself time to heal before returning to finish up.  

Your fall semester is still 9 months away so you may want to consider not restricting your choices to only online. There is a good chance by the time you are ready to start you will be feeling much better and be well able to attend regular classes.  When I went back to finish up I was a bit nervous about possible glutenings so made sure I was super careful.  All went okay and I was able to finish.  Chances are you will be able to also.  It does take time to heal and to get used to what we need to do to keep safe and that fall semester will have you over a year past diagnosis. You will likely have no problems with attending classes by that time.  Have you talked to your advisor? If not you should as the degree you are working toward may require you to do internships or have some classes that are not available on line.  Your advisor can guide you on the right route to take.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

16 minutes ago, ravenwoodglass said:

I had to withdraw 3 credit hours short of my degrees (I was in a duel degree program) because of celiac. Not because I had it but because I was undiagnosed at the time.  I also thought of going the online route but decided not to because I learn better with interaction and gave myself time to heal before returning to finish up.  

Your fall semester is still 9 months away so you may want to consider not restricting your choices to only online. There is a good chance by the time you are ready to start you will be feeling much better and be well able to attend regular classes.  When I went back to finish up I was a bit nervous about possible glutenings so made sure I was super careful.  All went okay and I was able to finish.  Chances are you will be able to also.  It does take time to heal and to get used to what we need to do to keep safe and that fall semester will have you over a year past diagnosis. You will likely have no problems with attending classes by that time.  Have you talked to your advisor? If not you should as the degree you are working toward may require you to do internships or have some classes that are not available on line.  Your advisor can guide you on the right route to take.

The college I am at right now isn't the friendliest to be honest, so I try to avoid the administration as much as possible. I am in graduation limbo right now because when I was sick last semester my math classes final exam was going on. I tried to tell her(the instructor) my circumstance and stuff and she didn't really care. I have tried speaking with advisors and either my emails get ignored or I get the "refer to the online website". 

Join eNewsletter