Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

bbuster

Seattle vacation - where to eat?

Rate this topic

Hi all.  I haven't been on this forum in ages.  We just booked a family trip to Seattle in May, staying downtown.  My college age son has Celiac and I would appreciate suggestions - especially pizza, bakeries, seafood and burgers.  I was excited to see there is a Whole Foods just a couple of blocks from our rental condo, so we will hit that first thing.

Where should we eat???

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have heard that there are a lot of good options in Seattle.  My son is moving there this summer, so I look forward to finding some.  I would love it if you would report back..

Try the "find Me Gluten free" site.  I have had good luck.  There are always stupid entries,  like Pizza Hut, but I have found some gems that way.  You can read reviews and see if they look like a likely place.  Then you can follow-up with a call or an email or Facebook question.

Join eNewsletter

Thanks KarenG, will do.

I found the findmeglutenfree site yesterday, and have started researching. 

One place I found online was Razzi's Pizzera.  They have a 3-page GLUTEN FREE menu that includes pizza, pasta, grinders, gyros, paninis, calzones, and garlic bread!  I emailed them to ask if they would deliver to our condo and got a prompt and courteous YES!  It's pricey but we are definitely going to to try it out!

I am hoping some locals or frequent visitors will weigh in.

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

Join eNewsletter

I too am going there in about two weeks.  We go a few times a year so I have some recommendations outside of findmeglutenfree.   Now to be fair I am am part of the super sensitive group, so while that website is an awesome resource for those that can eat above 10ppm I have had to be a bit more selective..  i am so glad I saw your thread, maybe someone will suggest a safe restaurant I have not tried yet.

1.  Razzis- yes go there, they are so good and careful.  Don't miss out, eat dinner out here without fear.  The staff is well trained.

2.  The Wurst Place -. This is a sausage shop downtown.  They make all their own sausages, buns and sauces.  They have a separate device to cook the gluten-free bread.  If you tell them you have celiac, they will bring you your own separate condiment containers from the back.   Like Razzis it isn't a dedicated gluten free place but they go to great lengths to keep you safe.

3.  Blue-C sushi- conveyer belt sushi with a gluten-free menu and Tamari option.  I asked to have my rolls made separately with a clean knife and rolling mat.  They obliged and I was served my rolls from the chefs in the center while my friends used the belt sushi.

4.  Red Robin- Yes, boring and everywhere.  But sometimes it is just nice to be able to get a burger and not worry, The one in Bellevue by the mall is really good.  

5.  Thrive- good food.  Did not get sick.  it is very pricy for what you get. That being said it was one of the rare times I left a restaurant feeling better after eating.    If your villi are flattened, you will want to just be very aware that the food is gently cooked or raw.  They were very good about adjusting my dinner so it didn't include any of the veggies I can't digest anymore like mushrooms.  It is low fat, dairy, egg and yeast free too so many of the problem areas for many of us are just covered.

6.  Uwajimaya Market- this is one of the local Asian supermarkets.  I found so much stuff here I could eat.  I know you were looking for restaurants, but sometimes you just need to grab something quick.  

I know I am missing some, but as I remember them, I'll post a review here.   

Join eNewsletter