Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

gem1030

Gluten and panic attacks

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, kenneth88 said:

No problem! How are you doing? Feeling improvement after going gluten free? For me after about 3 days without bread I can feel the tension headache go away but I'm still having anxiety and panic attacks, but already less severe. I hope some day I'll be in control again. 
I finally understand the bloating and the weight gain. 

If you're type O you are gluten-intolerant by nature. I never knew. Definitely look that up. 

I hope a gluten-free diet will reverse the symptoms. Are you still taking the zoloft? Do you think it helps with the neurological symptoms? I can imagine the gluten-free diet not being that easy on zoloft because of the cravings that come with the pills. I'm planning on going back on them for a little while too, but I'll have to make sure I can resist everything with gluten and refined sugar. 

Best of luck

If I stayed gluten free I could probably come off the Zoloft. When it comes to gluten and sweets I'm like and addict. I didn't even notice gluten was my issues because I am on the Zoloft. It wasn't until I stopped eating gluten %100 for a while then I introduced it back into my diet that noticed how much it makes me panic and anxious. It took me about  a week of no gluten before I started to just feel o.k but it's different for everyone.  Good luck to you.

I second Karen & SSLRunner!

BTW, I am type O & I have never been even remotely fat. In fact, just the opposite. I've always been too skinny! So that shoots the heck out of the type O gets fat theory.

6 hours ago, gem1030 said:

If I stayed gluten free I could probably come off the Zoloft. When it comes to gluten and sweets I'm like and addict. I didn't even notice gluten was my issues because I am on the Zoloft. It wasn't until I stopped eating gluten %100 for a while then I introduced it back into my diet that noticed how much it makes me panic and anxious. It took me about  a week of no gluten before I started to just feel o.k but it's different for everyone.  Good luck to you.

Thank you... 
It's funny how we tend to be addicted to what we are allergic to. But actually it's not funny. If I can avoid high anxiety by giving up food, no problem for me. Gluten is just NOT worth panic attacks. I'd definitely look for other options if I were you... Think about the weight we can lose... how we can feel. There are other gluten-free products out there for people like us.
Also mind you that gluten are hidden in products you wouldn't expect them to be in, potato chips for instance.  
Best of luck

panic attacks and gluten absolutely.I should know I was on benzo for 19 years,doctor wanted to take me off so got tired of the brow beating and gave in.Started getting the dh rash bad when meds were being tapered which actually got me pointed in the right direction of the underlying cause being gluten.I had to advocate for myself,none of the doctors had a clue.I have been without benzo for over a month and after I went gluten free anxiety disappeard big time.I read peoples post in various benzo sites about terrible symptoms monthes after discontinued use and in my opinion it is diet related.Gluten intolerance probably at the root of all the anxiety I have ever suffered.I know anxiety and mental health are real and scary realities of many peoples lives and want to make that crystal clear,I am only speaking for myself and my own experiences.