This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten and panic attacks

gem1030

gem1030 Rookie

Anyone else go through a similar situation. I have eaten gluten and wheat my whole life I have also suffered from anxiety for almost my whole life. This year my anxiety got pretty bad so I was put on Zoloft. The Zoloft really changed my life I felt better then I ever I felt in years. I felt like myself and free from all my crazy worries and "what if" thoughts. After about a year on the Zoloft I felt great and ready to get my health in order so I could come off the Zoloft and feel great so I did the whole 30 diet. I felt super amazing then I reintroduced wheat and stupid me I didn't just eat a piece of toast I ate pizza, cookies etc etc. about 32 hours later full blown panic attack worse then ever. It's been about 5 days and still don't feel right. Anyone else have anxiety and found relief from going gluten free. And if so then how long before I fell like myself. I just wonder if it's gluten or did the Zoloft just crap out on me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gem1030 Rookie

Also I just ate a gyro last night with no pita and discovered that the meat is not gluten free. So  the anxiety has not stopped yet

cyclinglady Grand Master

Yes, anxiety and Celiac Disease has been linked (along with 200 or more other symptoms).  So, perhaps consider getting tested for celiac disease.  Unfortunately, celiac disease testing requires you to be consuming gluten daily for 8 to 12 weeks.  Only you can decide if the meds or being gluten free was the culprit.  How long were you gluten free? 

I hope you feel better soon!  

For new members or viewers, if you suspect celiac disease or any gluten issues, please get tested first before going on a gluten free diet.  

SLLRunner Enthusiast
37 minutes ago, gem1030 said:

Also I just ate a gyro last night with no pita and discovered that the meat is not gluten free. So  the anxiety has not stopped yet

Meat does not have gluten in it. In prepared meats, it's the sauce or seasoning or breading that may have gluten in it.

SLLRunner Enthusiast
3 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

For new members or viewers, if you suspect celiac disease or any gluten issues, please get tested first before going on a gluten free diet.  

I cannot stress this enough. I am on week six of a gluten challenge because I thought it would be a good idea to try gluten free just to see how I feel. Well, I felt great, but now I don't feel very well at all.  Two more weeks and I go in for blood tests.

gem1030 Rookie
34 minutes ago, SLLRunner said:

I cannot stress this enough. I am on week six of a gluten challenge because I thought it would be a good idea to try gluten free just to see how I feel. Well, I felt great, but now I don't feel very well at all.  Two more weeks and I go in for blood tests.

have eaten gluten on accident? Why do you no longer feel well?

Jays911 Contributor

Once I went gluten free, my anxiety level dropped almost 100%.  Brain fog also disappeared.  As to yros, you have to check.  Some of that meat has gluten in it--some does not.  I think they use it as a binding agent in some of the meat.  If in doubt, go the chicken route.  Healthier, anyway. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gem1030 Rookie
3 hours ago, Jays911 said:

Once I went gluten free, my anxiety level dropped almost 100%.  Brain fog also disappeared.  As to yros, you have to check.  Some of that meat has gluten in it--some does not.  I think they use it as a binding agent in some of the meat.  If in doubt, go the chicken route.  Healthier, anyway. 

How long did it take your body to feel better?

Jays911 Contributor

About 3 days.  But everyone is different.

SLLRunner Enthusiast
12 hours ago, gem1030 said:

have eaten gluten on accident? Why do you no longer feel well?

No, I am eating gluten on purpose after being gluten free for about a months.  I am doing this because I need to to be tested for celiac. I either have non celiac gluten sensitivity or celiac. 

gem1030 Rookie

It's almost too good to be true and I hope I'm not jumping the gun because it's only been about a week. But I'm feeling better. I hope I'm not jinxing myself and as soon as I hit send a panic attack will start. Could it be that years of severe anxiety could have been from wheat. I still feel a little fragile but I am hopeful for the future and I think I will stop eating dairy as well. I think dairy will be harder to give up because everything is better with cheese but if it means no more panic  it's worth it.

gem1030 Rookie
9 hours ago, SLLRunner said:

No, I am eating gluten on purpose after being gluten free for about a months.  I am doing this because I need to to be tested for celiac. I either have non celiac gluten sensitivity or celiac. 

that makes sense.... I hope it goes by fast. Have you ever heard of ALCAT testing? I was going to try that.

SLLRunner Enthusiast
1 hour ago, gem1030 said:

that makes sense.... I hope it goes by fast. Have you ever heard of ALCAT testing? I was going to try that.

Gem, I had not heard of ALCAT, so I looked it up and see it has to do with allergy testing. I had allergy testing done through an allergist in my insurance network, and I am not allergic to any of the 20 common foods on their list.  I, however, am lactose intolerant and can't handle much soy. 

gem1030 Rookie
56 minutes ago, SLLRunner said:

Gem, I had not heard of ALCAT, so I looked it up and see it has to do with allergy testing. I had allergy testing done through an allergist in my insurance network, and I am not allergic to any of the 20 common foods on their list.  I, however, am lactose intolerant and can't handle much soy. 

I'm curious to know how your results come out. good luck to you!

SLLRunner Enthusiast
10 hours ago, gem1030 said:

I'm curious to know how your results come out. good luck to you!

Thank you! :) 

gem1030 Rookie

Just want to update incase anyone can find this helpful. I have stopped eating grains and dairy and everyday I'm feeling more and more like myself. It's amazing and I don't really care that I won't eat a regular pizza again. I mean 4 months ago I would have said I would die without gluteny soft pizza, now I am happy to never eat it again if it means I will never have to suffer a panic attack.

Jays911 Contributor

There are great gluten-free pizza crusts out there, as well as good dairy free cheese. I find the key is to add good toppings, e.g. meats, carmelized onions, other veggies, white anchovies. Life goes on. Congrats. Hope the good feelings keep up. 

Gemini Experienced
On 4/30/2016 at 10:01 PM, gem1030 said:

Just want to update incase anyone can find this helpful. I have stopped eating grains and dairy and everyday I'm feeling more and more like myself. It's amazing and I don't really care that I won't eat a regular pizza again. I mean 4 months ago I would have said I would die without gluteny soft pizza, now I am happy to never eat it again if it means I will never have to suffer a panic attack.

Now if everyone out there who probably has a gluten problem adopted your attitude, they would be having a much better life.  After over 10 years gluten-free myself, who really cares about gluten pizza? I go months without gluten free pizza, which is very good by the way, and I am not an emotional wreck.  Imagine!  ;)

Glad you feel better and yes, it was the wheat!

gem1030 Rookie
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:02 PM, Gemini said:

Now if everyone out there who probably has a gluten problem adopted your attitude, they would be having a much better life.  After over 10 years gluten-free myself, who really cares about gluten pizza? I go months without gluten free pizza, which is very good by the way, and I am not an emotional wreck.  Imagine!  ;)

Glad you feel better and yes, it was the wheat!

Thank You :)

ch88 Collaborator

Gluten can cause anxiety and other types of mental problems.  I don't know if the problem is the medication or gluten. If you decide to go gluten free it is a good idea read up about cross contamination. Oats and other processed foods often cause problems for some people with celiac disease. Lots of people with celiac disease have vitamin b deficiency.  Eating lots of fruits and vegetables is important. I take a vitamin b multivitamin as well as a extra vitamin b12 which seemed to help me. It can take months or even years to fully recover on a gluten free diet. I haven't recovered all the way yet, but I feel much much better. 

• 1 month later...
kenneth88 Apprentice

I've suffered from anxiety and panic disorder for the last 6 years. I decided to cut back on bread etc. a couple of weeks ago. I felt some improvement until Sunday I decided to eat a bit of bread again, along with coffee and chocolate. That same night I fell asleep having panic attacks. Monday was even worse! 

And guess what. I'm type O. I'm never eating gluten again. If I had known I certainly could have eased my suffering a long time ago. 

The food industry is literally making us sick. Get your blood type checked. If you're O, do away with all sorts of grains. Us O types used to be hunters. We are genetically engineered to eat meat and protein. Our digestive tract does not tolerate wheat, bread, etc. It even makes us fat, because our bodies are good at converting carbs into fat. Away with gluten, good riddance! I can do without bread. After a while of not eating bread and then eating it again, the soft structure and tastelessness disgust me anyway. 

Best of luck. 

gem1030 Rookie
6 hours ago, kenneth88 said:

I've suffered from anxiety and panic disorder for the last 6 years. I decided to cut back on bread etc. a couple of weeks ago. I felt some improvement until Sunday I decided to eat a bit of bread again, along with coffee and chocolate. That same night I fell asleep having panic attacks. Monday was even worse! 

And guess what. I'm type O. I'm never eating gluten again. If I had known I certainly could have eased my suffering a long time ago. 

The food industry is literally making us sick. Get your blood type checked. If you're O, do away with all sorts of grains. Us O types used to be hunters. We are genetically engineered to eat meat and protein. Our digestive tract does not tolerate wheat, bread, etc. It even makes us fat, because our bodies are good at converting carbs into fat. Away with gluten, good riddance! I can do without bread. After a while of not eating bread and then eating it again, the soft structure and tastelessness disgust me anyway. 

Best of luck. 

Thanks I never looked into the blood type thing. I'll have to check that out!!

kenneth88 Apprentice
9 hours ago, gem1030 said:

Thanks I never looked into the blood type thing. I'll have to check that out!!

No problem! How are you doing? Feeling improvement after going gluten free? For me after about 3 days without bread I can feel the tension headache go away but I'm still having anxiety and panic attacks, but already less severe. I hope some day I'll be in control again. 
I finally understand the bloating and the weight gain. 

If you're type O you are gluten-intolerant by nature. I never knew. Definitely look that up. 

I hope a gluten-free diet will reverse the symptoms. Are you still taking the zoloft? Do you think it helps with the neurological symptoms? I can imagine the gluten-free diet not being that easy on zoloft because of the cravings that come with the pills. I'm planning on going back on them for a little while too, but I'll have to make sure I can resist everything with gluten and refined sugar. 

Best of luck

kareng Grand Master

There is no real science behind the blood type diet.  It really makes no sense.  But you can do it for fun, if you want.

Open Original Shared Link

SLLRunner Enthusiast
46 minutes ago, kareng said:

There is no real science behind the blood type diet.  It really makes no sense.  But you can do it for fun, if you want.

Open Original Shared Link

This is almost verbatim of what I was going to say, except for the doing it for fun part. :D

Archived