This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wegman's

kevsmom

kevsmom Contributor

Wegman's recently opened about an hours drive from my house. I signed up on line at wegmans.com for their club card. I know I have posted before about their site having a list of gluten-free foods that they carry, and a free recipe search for gluten-free recipes. Yesterday I got a very nice menu magazine in the mail that included holiday features. The recipes all contained allergy lists that were very easy to understand. The magazine also showed foods that you wouldn't find in "normal" grocery stores, that might be interesting to try to add to the variaty of foods that you eat.

I still haven't gotten there. I have been waiting for the "grand opening rush" to slow down. I don't know how much longer I can wait!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eeyor-fan Contributor
Wegman's recently opened about an hours drive from my house. I signed up on line at wegmans.com for their club card. I know I have posted before about their site having a list of gluten-free foods that they carry, and a free recipe search for gluten-free recipes. Yesterday I got a very nice menu magazine in the mail that included holiday features. The recipes all contained allergy lists that were very easy to understand. The magazine also showed foods that you wouldn't find in "normal" grocery stores, that might be interesting to try to add to the variaty of foods that you eat.

I still haven't gotten there. I have been waiting for the "grand opening rush" to slow down. I don't know how much longer I can wait!!!

I love Wegman's. When I was first diagnosed my EX nutritionist gave me one piece of paper on all she knew about gluten-free. I left most stores in tears and I was living on Salad. Wegman's by us has a whole gluten-free section and one of there employees gave me tons of handouts on the gluten-free diet and showed me around the whole store pointing out the most popular gluten-free items. "Gary" the store clerk was my savior! He was hired at Wegman's because of his knowledge of natural foods (he has a degree in it and taught in it). One big complaint I have about Wegman's though, and I plan to post seperately about this soon is: They seem to like a Celiac's money, in us buying their brands but not in actually helping us. I wrote a letter to Wegman's about how great Gary was and how much he helped me, and Gary went to the store head and offered to put on a gluten-free cooking class for us with Celiac (and in our area there is lots of us), and in response they cut back his hours because "It is not his job to go out of his way for individuals with special needs". That killed me, that he was repremanded for helping us, as if Celiac's are not worth the time!

Bridget

• 2 years later...
ThatlldoGyp Rookie

BE CAREFUL! I questioned their gluten-free status of their B complex Wegmans brands vitamins several weeks ago because they had BARLEY GRASS listed as an ingredient (like Barley Grass can EVER be considered gluten-free), and now they have some "vegetable source" listed.

I mean what the heck? ASK WHAT THE "VEGETABLE SOURCE" is!!! Their gluten-free markings I am seriously questioning and would now like to see some testing of Wegman's "brand" foods as proof. I know it is easy, but is it safe? (think cc)

BE CAREFUL and stick with the brands that can prove in the lab that they are gluten-free!!! I think they mean "no gluten ingredients" as we all know means NOT proven to be gluten-free in the lab.

BE CAREFUL, but indulge on the Georges, Glutino, Featherlite, and Bob's Red Mill products. Our old tested and PROVEN gluten-free suppliers.

Accept no substitutes!

And buy your vitamins here! Seriously, BE CAREFUL!

p.s. I am also the guardian of a sheltie! LOVE them!

Archived