Anne01

Testing for dh?

Rate this topic

Before i was diagnosed 2 years ago i had a severe chronic itchy scalp.  It would develop minor pimple like blisters then turn in to sores from the intense scratching.  At the time the dr i saw did a punch biopsy on the original sore, it came back with a florescent pattern and micro abcessing.  i saw a dermatologist who said it was a staph infection (wasn't checking for dh) sent me home with cream and a steroid lotion, didnt work. Shortly after i was diagnosed with celiac and went back to the dermatologist.  He did a punch biopsy BUT he took it from the top of my butt cheek saying that was the most common spot for dh to manifest.  My results were negative.

my question is...   Can this be a false negative due to the punch biopsy not being taken from skin adjacent to the lesions?

since being gluten free the intensity has subsided but is still there.

Yes it most certainly could be a false negative, and I would bet you a dozen donuts that it is (gluten free, of course. ;)   )  At the very least you can be sure it is related to gluten.  These gluten rashes take forever to clear up.  I don't know about you, but whenever I start to doubt my gluten intolerance, I just look at my skin, and the old blood stains on my sheets, and I am reassured that it's not all in my head, and I need to avoid gluten as if it were a bucket of battery acid.

I have the same problem. Was told it was psoriasis but no treatments worked even injections. I was daignosed celiac in may, and noticed a year ago the palm of my hand would itch intensely then get small blisters. I believe they are both dh. Have been gluten-free since diagnosis but still have issues with both areas. Thankful digestive issues cleared but would love to know how long before they clear up? I hope we both get feed back and best wishes to you!

6 hours ago, Anne01 said:

Before i was diagnosed 2 years ago i had a severe chronic itchy scalp.  It would develop minor pimple like blisters then turn in to sores from the intense scratching.  At the time the dr i saw did a punch biopsy on the original sore, it came back with a florescent pattern and micro abcessing.  i saw a dermatologist who said it was a staph infection (wasn't checking for dh) sent me home with cream and a steroid lotion, didnt work. Shortly after i was diagnosed with celiac and went back to the dermatologist.  He did a punch biopsy BUT he took it from the top of my butt cheek saying that was the most common spot for dh to manifest.  My results were negative.

my question is...   Can this be a false negative due to the punch biopsy not being taken from skin adjacent to the lesions?

since being gluten free the intensity has subsided but is still there.

Your scalp sounds like seborrheic dermatitis. I have that and although its better after going gluten-free its very persistent. The dermatologist recommended Nizoral shampoo for it and it does help. I think dairy has a big part to play with skin problems, for me at least.