This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Major stressors as a factor

cstark

cstark Enthusiast

(I read in a recent post of stress being a major factor in the onslaught of symptoms.  Due to this not being the general topic of that post, I am creating one on stressors as part of the beginning symptoms.)

I guess I didn't realize how much stress actually played in the first signs of showing gluten intolerance. The year before I was showing symptoms, a lot of things happened: brother was betrothed and married, met my dad for the first time in 20 years, and same brother and sister-in-law found out they were pregnant. I am close to my brother, and the wedding then the upcoming birth of my nephew was stressful enough without tossing my dad into the mix.  Still not sure how to take meeting my dad after such a long time. (mixed emotions, but that's another topic)  Seven months later, my body had a complete neurological meltdown, literally.  That episode was and still the longest time period, 45 minutes (I have no intention of setting a new record).  Slept for almost 3 hours afterwards.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Hmm this is actually a viscous cycle as a lot of times the stress is caused by vitamin and other nutrient deficiencies. I found found in multiple articles where panic attacks, and stress related issues are often linked to low B Vitamins and iron which is a known issue with many celiacs.  Open Original Shared Link

Might explain why I find combinations of pumpkin seed protein, chocolate, and b vitamins to be relaxing and help with stress.

And another article further into this Open Original Shared Link

Nice to bring this point up on the stress issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Posterboy Mentor

Ennis and Cstark,

I wanted to reply to this topic but have been busy with other things (stressed) so I am finally getting around to it.

Celiac.com reported these findings https://www.celiac.com/articles/23506/1/Stress-Common-Before-Celiac-Diagnosis/Page1.html and explains why stress (not day to day stress) but Trauma really can trigger worse symptom's or often preceed a formal diagnosis often.

Recent research even notes that stress associated with a Celiac diagnosis can trigger higher risks in spouses of those who have not developed Celiac disease yet (or those whose often (Spouses) can't get a diagnosis for it because they don't have the right genes for it).

see this link Open Original Shared Link where they say quoting "While the excess risk found in celiac first-degree relatives can be explained by genetics, the higher risk in spouses points to the impact of environmental factors" like stress in their environment.

Mind you these people don’t’ have the genetics for it.

Now technically if we listen to “Classic Genetics” only those who have the Celiac GENES can get sick of Celiac disease?  Right?

How can this be?

Well they forget to consider the “external triggers” STRESS … ie their Environment?

See this information is reported on Celiac.com now almost over 3 years ago this month of earlier research reported 15 + years ago.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/23149/1/Gliadin-Triggers-Innate-Immune-Reaction-in-Celiac-and-Non-celiac-Individuals/Page1.html

Quoting the above link on Celiac.com "A number of earlier studies (Molberg et al., 1998; Anderson et al., 2000; Shan et al., 2002) have found HLA-DQ2– and HLA-DQ8–restricted gluten peptides that trigger the adaptive immune response in people with celiac disease. However, only 2–5% of individuals who show these HLAs develop celiac disease, which means that other factors, especially innate immune activation, are at play in the generation of celiac disease." ie an environmental trigger like Stress or too much of it is involved in someone who develops Celiac disease.

I will quote here again from Celiac.com  “research that suggests that gluten proteins might trigger an immune response in people who do not have Celiac disease, and  (THOSE ) my words added for emphasis) who do not carry the HLA-DQ2 or HLA-DQ8 genetic markers that predispose them to developing Celiac disease. Such a response is part of a process called innate immunity, and is far less understood than the adaptive immunity process.”

They recognize these findings but are not sure what to make of them since traditionally only people with Celiac genes are being diagnosed as able to get Celiac disease.

When they summarize quoting them again "The findings of this study mean that the proteins in wheat may trigger immune reactions not just in people with celiac disease, but in people without celiac disease (genes), and that these reactions may be actively contributing to the development of numerous other intestinal and non-intestinal immune disorders. That's a pretty big deal."

I couldn't agree more!  That is a big deal often overlooked today by many doctors.

I am not sure how to quote them but the user ravenwoodglass on this forum says as much concerning her diagnosis.

Quoting "

It is very important that you get her back on gluten immediately. She needs to be still on gluten for any blood work or an endoscopy that the GI will want to do. Call the Gi's office and ask to speak with a nurse and tell them about the probiotic, vitamins and digestive aids that you are giving her. The doctor may want to run vitamin panels and the supplements could interfer with getting her correct levels. The nurse will likely need to call you back after he/she talks to the doctor.  She can get probiotics from the Kombucha, yogurt, saurkraut or any other fermented food.

I am not a fan of using the gene tests as part of the diagnostic process. There are cases when diagnosed celiacs have not carried the most common celiac associated genes. While it is rare I am one of them.  Research is still going on concerning all the genes associated with the condition. It wasn't until a few years after I was diagnosed the my gene finally was recognized as associated.

I hope the GI gets you in soon. Do make sure to keep up with the gluten. Just a couple pieces of bread worth of gluten should be enough.  It is very important she have a formal diagnosis for accomodations at school, hospitals etc." from the thread

My point is it might not be as rare as some doctor's think. And they often don't include stressful events in your life that can trigger if Celiac.com is right the onset of a Celiac diagnosis.

Who knows? how much suffering could be avoided if those without "Celiac" genes also could be diagnosed like Ravenwoodglass was despite not having the most common gene type for Celiac disease.

According to Dr. Verdu a Canadian Celiac researcher “We know that there is a delay of at least 10 years in the diagnosis of celiac disease… it’s not only in children, but in adults too — especially in adults,” wouldn't it be great if doctor's who knew these things and help those who didn't.

If you want to read the article where I quoted Dr. Verdu from relatively new (a couple year old) research follow this link Open Original Shared Link researchers find possible treatment for Celiac disease.

And that is presumably for those who have the "genes" for it.  And yet it takes 10 years often.

My diagnosis took 30+ years and I would of loved to have found out in only 10 years time.

How about anybody else? 

So yes STRESS is a killer but it maims us first.  Who knew right?

Good luck on your journey and for those still looking for a diagnosis don't stop.  It does get better.

I just hope for those still looking it doesn't  take 30+ years like it did for me.  Quoting Dr. Verdu again because "especially in adults" it sadly takes longer often to get a Celiac diagnosis.

Surely stress is a Killer.  And it is the wait that is killing us if you are one still looking/waiting for a diagnosis.

I hope this is helpful.

Posterboy,

kareng Grand Master

"see this link Open Original Shared Link where they say quoting "While the excess risk found in celiac first-degree relatives can be explained by genetics, the higher risk in spouses points to the impact of environmental factors" like stress in their environment.

Mind you these people don’t’ have the genetics for it.

Now technically if we listen to “Classic Genetics” only those who have the Celiac GENES can get sick of Celiac disease?  Right?"

I am not sure that really says that the spouse had no genes for Celiac.  I think it's worded awkwardly.  The spouses don't share he same genetics with thier spouses ( well...al least spouse aren't usually first degree relatives.lol).

kareng Grand Master

I would like to clear something up here..... " Celiac. Com" doesn't " say" anything.  It doesn't do research.  Sometimes it links to studies or articles published elsewhere.  It allows people to express thier opinions, thoughts, links to info, etc.   Using " Celiac. Com " as a scientific source isn't valid.  Perhaps saying " in this article, on c. Com that I am linking to", would be more valid?  Then people could see where the info comes from - the study, pharmaceutical company, etc.  The fact is, you can find someone's post or an article that will contradict another article.  This forum and site are for sharing information but it's is not a scientific entity.

Archived