• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

tummietroubles

Severe Migaraine

Rate this topic

I was diganosed with Celiac Disease about a year and a half ago. I have learned over the last year to be extremely careful with any and all foods. But recently my daughter bought me a gift set from Bath & Body Works "Cucumber & Melon" lotions ect. Beautiful and smelled even better. To make a long story short I began getting headaches that were getting worse each day. Then nausea, vomiting and severe head pain this went on all of October and through most of November. I had cat scan, MRI and xrays. I do have white matter on my brain which I believe is from the disease. I was so very careful and never even thought about the lotion I was using until one moring I noticed it says right on the label contains "wheat germ oil" I couldn't believe it. My headaches are gone. So please be aware. I could have saved myself so much pain and sickness. There are just soooo many things out there that we all need to be aware of.

I am new to this and didn't think much about other stuff besides the food aspect so thank you for this information. I found it helpful and I'm sure others will too!

Not all Bath & Body Works products contain wheat germ oil. I use their White Tea and Ginger, it has avacado oil and almond oil--it doesnt bother me at all. I also use their Sweet Pea. I had severe reactions to their Moonlight Path. Never use a product without reading the ingredients. Deb

I had a similar experience with Aubrey Organics lotion. It had wheat germ oil and I gradually got sicker and sicker over the 2 weeks I used it. It was miserable and I lost lots of weight. :(

Thanks for the "tips" on these Products here folks! I had wondered often about some of these things myself, so this was quite insightful! Thanks much!!! :)

I have found that most of the lotions from Bath & Body Works contain oats, so I avoid them all. I do use their handsoap, body spray, and some body washes (gels only - every cream body wash that I have checked out has oats).

I found out that when I weeded out all products with wheat germ oil my scalp stopped itching (the shampoo had it), and my eyes wouldn't burn any more (my hand soap had it, and I'd touch my eyes).

I am part of a German Celiac forum (I rarely go there now), and they drive me nuts. Somebody was saying they're so careful with their food, and is not getting better. When I suggested getting rid of skin and hair products with wheat germ oil, I just about got tarred and feathered! They seriously claim that there is NO gluten in wheat germ oil or wheat starch. And anybody who doesn't get better by following their codex alimentarius (20ppm gluten allowed in food, and they're very proud of that, since Finland allows 200ppm) must have something else, they aren't celiacs. It makes me so mad, that I just can't post there any more!

They were also complaining that the self-test for gluten intolerance costs 12 Euro (less than $20.00 US), and thought that people wanted to rip them off because the government health insurance wouldn't cover it! I checked, and that same test costs $99.00 in the US (more in Canada).

And so they complain about things we would consider a blessing, and lead people astray by claiming that the 20ppm is very reasonable, since it isn't possible to be 100% gluten free, anyway, and that wheat germ and wheat starch are fine, because they don't contain gluten.

So, to not start fights, and to not be treated like crap when I don't agree with them, I am staying away now for the most part.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• April 17, 2019 Until April 27, 2019
      April 17-27, 2020   For the past few years many of you have asked us to arrange a River Boat Cruise that will allow us to visit Amsterdam's famous Keukenhof Gardens at its prime time of the blossoming of the millions of Tulips and Hyacinths - alongside the windmills of the Netherlands.  With the participation of a minimum of 20 persons we have arranged an All-Inclusive Cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam.  This cruise will not be offered to the public until January, 2019 and always sells out quickly.   THERE WILL BE NO MONEY REQUIRED NOR COMMITMENT FROM YOU until we have all the final costs and details.  If you are at all interested check out our website for as many of the details that we have as of this time.   We need your request to be placed on a list of interested participants so we can present that number to Uniworld to show we have the sincere interest in this All-Inclusive Bob & Ruth's Gluten-free Cruise.   PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR THE DETAILED INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE AS OF THIS TIME.   http://bobandruths.com
    • April 24, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • May 04, 2019 Until May 05, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com