Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Deades

Missing Beer

Rate this topic

I have noticed the prices on gluten free items is a bit steep, therefore, I have not tried gluten free beer.  Has anyone?  If so, what are some good brands to look for

Avoid gluten removed beers, or gluten reduced ones as they are not safe for celiacs. There are some ciders that are decent like Austins Honey Cider they make hard and sweet ones, I started using them in recipes that call for a beer for marinades etc recently. https://austineastciders.com/

There is another member here who can give you a long list of 100% Gluten Free Beers

I Say play it safe with Rums and mixers, pure agave taquilia, some non grain vodkas. Avoid flavored liquors.  My personal favorites are admiral nelsons rum, I cook with it often, and used to drink it a lot before my ulcer issues and UC started having flare ups and bleeding with alcohol. Nothing used to beat a root beer, and rum or orange soda and a whipped vodka or rum at the end of the day. The admiral nelsons is very smooth.   Miss drinking, perhaps I might be able to have a shot or so in a few more years.

I am such a sucker for this question (and may be that member, or one of them at least ):

Answer, if you can find them:
Glutenberg (from Montreal, with several styles. My fav is the red ale)
Groundbreaker (from Portland, doing really great craft beer style brews and experimental stuff)
Ghostfish (from Seattle. I haven't had chance to try any, but they're supposed to be fantastic)
Greens (they have a delicious belgian style blonde, and a dark and red ale; they have a few gluten-removed beers, so watch out)
Celia saison (super lovely and light, with citra hops)
Dogfish Head Tweason’Ale (strawberries!)
New Planet (a bit syropy sometimes, but good; also have some gluten-removed types, check the labels)
Or if you want things that are lighter, New Grist is pretty good. They have a ginger beer now too that is definitely tasty.

Yes, they're a bit more expensive, but always worth having one as a treat.
Also, stay away from Bards, unless you like beer-flavoured water.

Some advice: give yourself some time before diving into gluten-free beer territory. There's good stuff out there, but it is different. I think our taste buds need a while to "forget" real beer first.  In the meantime, cider is good. So is brown liquors. If it's distilled, it's safe.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1