Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
GillyBowler

GillyBowler

Rate this topic

Hi. Just found this site. I was diagnosed 2years ago with coeliac disease in the form of gluten ataxia. Despite being gluten free

I still have neuropathy pains in hands and feet, alsomtinnatus.Wondering if going dairy free will have any effect.

would love some advice.

Might, I have lactose intolerance and a whey allergy on top of celiac disease. I had this issues way before my celiac dia. BTW I have the nerve issues also 3 years later I still have damage to feeling of touch in my hands and feet -_-. At least I do not have the pains, or full random motor loss anymore lol, the brain fog to the point of berserk confusion was the worst, oh the stories from that time. I was scary.

Back to the topic, go ahead and try dropping the dairy for a month and you can bring it back in later then make your own decision, there are plenty of dairy free options, I make my own cheese sauces, My own diary free sugar free ice cream, and drink various nut and seed milks on rotation, along with unsweetened coconut yogurt. Found some cream cheese extracts, and cheese flavoring extracts in the last year and fell in love with making my own dairy free recipes while enjoying the flavors from my childhood >.> just recently found coconut whipped cream lol. Anyway If you need any suggested on brands or alternatives I have a HUGE list, heck been lactose intolerant for over 10 years.

The villi which are damaged by celiac produce the enzymes to break down lactose, so when they are damaged they can cause issues with diary digestion, Dairy in some people does also have mental and neurological issues but this is normally in people within the autism spectrum. Studies on this are iffy with ones showing both sides. I have autism and the gluten ataxia so I can not say really, But I do notice I have a bit more of a mood swing issue with I accidentally consume dairy. NOW this could be from my gut hurting me and bloat making me miserable, my autism flaring up from what ever reasons related to dairy, or it could be the ataxia. Since I have all the issues with some studies relating back to dairy I can never narrow it down and just avoid dairy and consider it poison to my body lol. SO I am not the one to really rely on in relation to information on this just my off opinion. Perhaps some others can give you some advice. NOTE there are some dairy lovers here (brain washed by the American dairy association studies and commercials >.> )  that swear by the stuff, and others like me who hate it with a passion so much we claim the other side of the rally (I admit I am very biased against dairy) so expect likewise biased opinions and make your own judgement.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

Also I do not know if listed there yet but I have been doing more experimenting with a few other brands of diary free cheeses a like daiya, lisannatti, and Julian Bakery. -_- My stomach is not agreeing with the daiya in large amounts, but it has the most cheesy texture cooked/melted, raw/cold it is nasty and dry, Lisannatti shreds are great raw cold or melted.  the blocks...mush too much but work in cooking again odd issues in large amounts with my stomach. and the julian bakery seems to the most tolerable and can be ordered online but has the worst texture. Really just prefer making my own cheese sauces and adjusting the fats, seasoning, and vinegar/lemon juice to get the desired kick and bite of a nice cheese.

There's certainly nothing wrong with going off dairy. I had to for at least a year. It's hard at first but you get used to it! I wish you good luck.