This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

GUHHHHHHHHHHH IS it the Tea? Belly bloat, gas.

Aluviel

Aluviel Rookie

Hello everyone,

I just relaized that I need to get tested asap for Celiac Disease. I have the rash on my fingers, the gas, stomach pain from anything wheat and sugar related. THE BLOAT !  even when eating a clear diet, I get symptoms. One thing That might be the culprit is this tea from Taiwan and china. I tutor a Chinese lady, that is always giving me exotic teas. She fully rinses them first Gong fu style...

When I go to her house she has 3 kinds of tea ready. Im curious.. Tea is a plant just like oats, wheat etc.. Has anyone else heard of green tea or Chinese tea causing symptoms? The Chinese can be very easily insulted, so if I refuse to drink the tea when I go over there, I might hurt her feelings.

I read the banter back n forth about coffee.. I have pretty much stopped drinking coffee.. I might have a cup twice a week. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
5 hours ago, Aluviel said:

Hello everyone,

I just relaized that I need to get tested asap for Celiac Disease. I have the rash on my fingers, the gas, stomach pain from anything wheat and sugar related. THE BLOAT !  even when eating a clear diet, I get symptoms. One thing That might be the culprit is this tea from Taiwan and china. I tutor a Chinese lady, that is always giving me exotic teas. She fully rinses them first Gong fu style...

When I go to her house she has 3 kinds of tea ready. Im curious.. Tea is a plant just like oats, wheat etc.. Has anyone else heard of green tea or Chinese tea causing symptoms? The Chinese can be very easily insulted, so if I refuse to drink the tea when I go over there, I might hurt her feelings.

I read the banter back n forth about coffee.. I have pretty much stopped drinking coffee.. I might have a cup twice a week. 

I found dedicated coffee, that I have been testing with gluten test kits from https://www.christopherbean.com/collections/flavored-coffee

That normally just applies to flavored coffee btw.

Tea are normally gluten free, there are some versions with roasted barley in them. If you need a good tea Republic of Tea is certifed gluten-free. NOW some people have issues with tea due to the tannins in them same with some coffees. Black teas effect me oddly making me nausated no matter what so I drink mostly green tea myself. I think this has to do with the fermentation process in making them.

I am unsure if you issues are caused by gluten but you can go get the blood test done by your doctor, you have to be eating gluten when you get test done about half a slice of bread a day for 12 weeks. Might be worth it. NOW you mentioned issues with sugars in addition you might want to look into SIBO and Ulcerative Colitis.

Aluviel Rookie

Thank you so so much! 

Every since I started taking the enzymes and cutting gluten out even in soy sauce, I have almost been symptom free! I go tomorrow for the blood test.  Im still on the fence about it.. I have been gluten free for about 4 days.  So the test might not be accurate.  I wonder If I eat some gluten today if that would be enough?

cyclinglady Grand Master

Four days of being gluten free should be fine.  ?  If it makes you feel better, have something gluteny -- like a cupcake!  

• 2 years later...
BubbleGirl2 Rookie
On 7/13/2017 at 11:58 PM, Aluviel said:

I just relaized that I need to get tested asap for Celiac Disease. I have the rash on my fingers, the gas, stomach pain from anything wheat and sugar related. THE BLOAT !  even when eating a clear diet, I get symptoms. One thing That might be the culprit is this tea from Taiwan and china.

I just wanted to add to this post that recently I found that there was gluten in the glue/binding of the tea bags that I was reacting to. I have switched to only using loose tea in case that helps anyone else. It caused intestinal distress/reaction and migraine. I only use white teas because of fodmap sensitivity.  

CatS Newbie
13 hours ago, BubbleGirl2 said:

I just wanted to add to this post that recently I found that there was gluten in the glue/binding of the tea bags that I was reacting to. I have switched to only using loose tea in case that helps anyone else. It caused intestinal distress/reaction and migraine. I only use white teas because of fodmap sensitivity.  

Thank you for writing this! This explains so much to me! I had a lifetime of health problems and finally at age 55 I went to a naturopathic doctor- after trips to emergency numerous times, also neurologists for migraines, dermatologists for skin rashes.... I am now 68 and was officially diagnosed as being strongly celiac. This website is the only real education I have for my condition.  It was this site which alerted me to glue on envelopes too. I live in a town-thank god-which has a gluten free restaurant and they always serve loose leaf tea. Good luck and thank you for posting. I will tell my daughter who is also celiac!

BubbleGirl2 Rookie

So happy to be of any help. ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):