Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
celiacmom774

Celiac Disease and ?Osteopenia

Rate this topic

My 13 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with celiac disease through blood work, endoscopy and biopsy.

We recently went for a bone density test and we were informed she also has osteopenia.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome!  At age 13, she should recover easily from Osteopenia on a gluten free diet.  It will take time to heal and master the diet, so patience is needed.  The great news is that kids tend to heal much faster!  

Try reading our Newbie 101 thread pinned at the top of the "Coping" section of the forum.  There are lots of tips throughout the forum too.  Post any questions you many have,  we are happy to help!  

Thank you for your reassurance. This is all so new and I feel like I am on the computer researching whenever I can about celiac and now also about osteopenia. Thanks again, I will look at the newbie 101 and coping now!

Many of us are lactose intolerant at the beginning (damaged villi tips can not release the enzymes to digest lactose), so experient.  Choose lactose low foods like hard cheeses and yogurts.  If she has no issues, add in milk and ice cream.  Leafy greens are great sources of calcium too.  Make sure she is exercising (weight-bearing) too.  

My kid is 16 (non-celiac) and she drinks water and milk.  That is it.  She needs to focus on building bone at her age and soda defeats that purpose.