This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is it Celiac?

MikeMacKay

MikeMacKay Apprentice

Hello, 

I am new here.  I've had a lot of anxiety about a celiac diagnosis over the last year or so.  I've run various tests, such as an endoscopy which has come back negative, and a couple of blood tests where one was supposedly a "weak/faint positive" and the other one I did at the same time as the endoscopy came back "negative".   I've bene having some symptoms I think may be related, but I want to hear from the community. I have a bad rash on my arms currently,, and chronic eczema which started when I was a kid, a red rash on my neck, feelings of being jittery or anxious at times, and I've had difficulty passing my BMs a lot this week (sorry for the TMI) where I believe they have looked green in colour and have been, largely, loose this week, I believe (although I'm not too sure what quantifies loose exactly..).  I've been told by my primary physician and my gastroentrologist countless times that it's not celiac, and may be Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).  I've also been taking drugs to soothe acid reflux in my stomach.  The name of the drug I'm taking is Tecta which is used for stomach acid. Since that wasn't really helping, my gastroentrologist has also asked me to work more fibre into my diet, and take milk of magnesia every night.  My diet, I'd say isn't the best, either.  It comprises of a lot of sugar, and carbs, I think, so this could be a reason.  But I'm not too sure.  I've been looking for more answers though, and I'm hoping someone in this community might know something about it, and whether they've experienced similar things, and if this does in fact sound like Celiac disease to you.  Any answers would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, MikeMacKay said:

Hello, 

I am new here.  I've had a lot of anxiety about a celiac diagnosis over the last year or so.  I've run various tests, such as an endoscopy which has come back negative, and a couple of blood tests where one was supposedly a "weak/faint positive" and the other one I did at the same time as the endoscopy came back "negative".   I've bene having some symptoms I think may be related, but I want to hear from the community. I have a bad rash on my arms currently,, and chronic eczema which started when I was a kid, a red rash on my neck, feelings of being jittery or anxious at times, and I've had difficulty passing my BMs a lot this week (sorry for the TMI) where I believe they have looked green in colour and have been, largely, loose this week, I believe (although I'm not too sure what quantifies loose exactly..).  I've been told by my primary physician and my gastroentrologist countless times that it's not celiac, and may be Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).  I've also been taking drugs to soothe acid reflux in my stomach.  The name of the drug I'm taking is Tecta which is used for stomach acid. Since that wasn't really helping, my gastroentrologist has also asked me to work more fibre into my diet, and take milk of magnesia every night.  My diet, I'd say isn't the best, either.  It comprises of a lot of sugar, and carbs, I think, so this could be a reason.  But I'm not too sure.  I've been looking for more answers though, and I'm hoping someone in this community might know something about it, and whether they've experienced similar things, and if this does in fact sound like Celiac disease to you.  Any answers would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you. 

This "Rash" it could be DH, celiacs with DH can have less damage in the intestines, and the blood test is not always accurate. Please look into the testing for the DH. If all else fails you could be Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity, which is diagnosed via a elimination diet.
 Open Original Shared Link
Celiacs commonly have issues with magnesium that leads to constipation in some cases, anxiety, and nerve issues. Easing with with supplementing Natural Vitality Calm will help starting at a 1-2 grams or 1/4 tsp and slowly raising the dose each day til you reach the full dose or loose stools dosing to tolerance will help.
B-vitamins can also leady to anxiety, brain fog, and other issues, a spectrum b-vitamin will help I use Stress & Energy and Neurological Support from liquid Health 1tbsp each 3 times a day to help. Might also want to get your vitamin D and iron checked along with other nutrients.

Ease off on the sugar and carbs if you can, and try changing to more paleo diet with more meats, and veggies, slow cooker/crockpot meals, sheet pan meals, etc are simple and quick and can be done cheap, soups and stews can work also look some up. High sugar/carb diets can lead to Small Bacterial Overgrowth, or candida overgrowth. These can cause all kind of health issues and leave you bloated, uncomfortable, tired and ALWAYS craving sweets and carbs like a mad man and they live off it. There are test for these to, and the treatment for them is a almost zero carb diet to starve them and a regime to kill them off and repopulate your gut with healthy flora.

For now keep a food diary, record what you eat and symptoms and bowl habits and rotate you diet see if you find culprits and patterns. If you intend to further test keep eating gluten as all testing requires you to be eating it when checking for celiac. Open Original Shared Link

Celiacmomrd Newbie

Make sure you weren’t eating gluten free before endoscopy.  That can give you a false negative. 

MikeMacKay Apprentice

I was eating gluten before the endoscopy, yea.  However, it still came back negative, at the time.  

@Ennis_TX Thanks for the advice about the food diary.  I will start doing that as well as watching my diet. Do you think it's possible because there might be more damage on the skin because of skin conditions like DH though that endoscopies wouldn't be likely to spot anything at first?  I saw from my doctor's records that he took 4 samples from the intestine, and 4 samples from the stomach. 

Archived