This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New symptoms?

kam00096

kam00096 Contributor

I had positive blood tests for celiac 2 years ago and immediately went gluten free because I was really ill and couldn’t face continuing to eat gluten during the 10 month wait for an endoscopy. I opted not to do a gluten challenge when I finally got my appointment and had a negative biopsy but with inflammation of the intestines/ stomach which was diagnosed as reflux. 

Since going gluten free I’ve continued to have issues with nausea, constipation etc which my gp has said is ‘just my stomach not working properly’! I usually find it really difficult to tell if I’ve been accidentally glutened since my stomach’s never great, but I am really careful about staying gluten free. 

Over the past two weeks things have changed and I’ve started having daily upper stomach pain. Despite all of my other stomach issues I’ve never ever had pain before so this is new to me. I guess I’m just wondering if it could be I got glutened (I’ve no idea how!) and I now just have new symptoms or if it’s something completely unconnected to celiac disease...? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MichelleSC Newbie

One of my major symptoms is intense stomach pain. Like someone is squeezing and twisting my stomach in their hands. I would do an inventory of everything you’ve eaten, and double check all ingredients. I also use the ShopWell app on my phone to scan barcodes on food, and it tells me if I can eat it (you can put in a gluten “allergy”). There have been multiple times I’ve been shocked before! Also, little things like buillion cubes can have gluten,  without it listed as an allergen on the box. One of the ingredients can have it. So, start there. Then maybe talk to your dr, just in case. Hope you get it figured out!    :-)

Ennis-TX Grand Master
10 hours ago, kam00096 said:

I had positive blood tests for celiac 2 years ago and immediately went gluten free because I was really ill and couldn’t face continuing to eat gluten during the 10 month wait for an endoscopy. I opted not to do a gluten challenge when I finally got my appointment and had a negative biopsy but with inflammation of the intestines/ stomach which was diagnosed as reflux. 

Since going gluten free I’ve continued to have issues with nausea, constipation etc which my gp has said is ‘just my stomach not working properly’! I usually find it really difficult to tell if I’ve been accidentally glutened since my stomach’s never great, but I am really careful about staying gluten free. 

Over the past two weeks things have changed and I’ve started having daily upper stomach pain. Despite all of my other stomach issues I’ve never ever had pain before so this is new to me. I guess I’m just wondering if it could be I got glutened (I’ve no idea how!) and I now just have new symptoms or if it’s something completely unconnected to celiac disease...? 

This disease is a chameleon, over the years your symptom will evolve, changes like a sickness, getting glutened, or other shock to the immune system will likely cause a change in symptoms. After going gluten free....we react more violently to gluten when it is later reintroduced. Double check the newbie 101 section see if you missed something, go to a whole foods only diet for a bit of simple stews, soups of super soft cooked meats, and veggies.

Addressing your issues, constipation in celiacs is most commonly caused by magnesium deficiency. Natural Vitality Calm, start off with 1/4 tsp (1-2g) a day and slowly up up it 1/4 tsp (1-2g) a day til you get loose stools then back down some dosing to tolerance ...of if you comfortable just to the RD. I find I used to have to take 4-6x the dose...much less now days.

Digestion issues, take digestive enzymes, capsule forms if you can not the tablets, (tablets, tums, etc contain calcium which uses the same absorption channels as magnesium and will lead to constipation)
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/119919-digestive-enzymes/
Also start keeping a food diary, record what you eat, how it is fixed, seasoned etc. With celiac disease is not uncommon to develop other food sensitivities and intolerance issues. Many of these will resolve in time once off the offending food for awhile.
Open Original Shared Link
OH if you on dairy or oats remove them, dairy is hard to digest, damaged villi and enzyme issues mean you will not break it down properly leading to stomach distress, it will also make the constipation worse. Oats are are very commonly contaminated and in some cases like I found out years ago like 10% of celiacs react to oats the same way to some degree regardless.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I was diagnosed five years ago.  I was glutened somehow last year which set off a cascade of new issues like autoimmune hives.  Six months later the hives resolved.  My stomach was still bothering me.  My GI offered a repeat endoscopy, but I refused.  Instead, I did the Fasano strict gluten-free diet.  My stomach was still bothering me.  Finally, I had the endoscopy and it revealed a healed small intestine.  Stomach biopsies though showed Chronic Autoimmune Gastritis.  So, your current issue could be totally separate from celiac disease.  

Archived