Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
jaxibella

Persistent symptoms early on?

Rate this topic

Hello! 5month lurker here ? I was diagnosed with celiac after 7 months of neurological craziness (temporary blindness, etc). I am meticulous regarding my diet - I primarily start with raw fresh foods and cook for myself, I've gutted my house and read up on products and companies I buy from. 

I've been gluten free for 5 months, with one accidental glutening about 3 weeks ago. I find that, very occasionally, I will have "flare ups" of symptoms I associate with ingesting gluten. Most recently, I have been fine for about a week and a half after the incident, feeling normal, and then today the blindness and sharp gut pains started up.

Is this normal early on in the healing process? I've read that gluten can linger for years, so I wasn't sure if it was possible for that lingering and healing to cause symptoms?

Thanks! Looking forward to joining this community ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

2 hours ago, jaxibella said:

Hello! 5month lurker here ? I was diagnosed with celiac after 7 months of neurological craziness (temporary blindness, etc). I am meticulous regarding my diet - I primarily start with raw fresh foods and cook for myself, I've gutted my house and read up on products and companies I buy from. 

I've been gluten free for 5 months, with one accidental glutening about 3 weeks ago. I find that, very occasionally, I will have "flare ups" of symptoms I associate with ingesting gluten. Most recently, I have been fine for about a week and a half after the incident, feeling normal, and then today the blindness and sharp gut pains started up.

Is this normal early on in the healing process? I've read that gluten can linger for years, so I wasn't sure if it was possible for that lingering and healing to cause symptoms?

Thanks! Looking forward to joining this community ?

Welcome!  

Gluten does not linger in your body.  It exits within a day or so.  However, an immune response after a celiac ingests gluten can trigger symptoms tha t are either swift or delayed.  It all depends on how fast your body starts attacking itself.  Antibodies once ramped up (flaring) can take weeks or months to calm down.  

Celiac disease is like any other autoimmune disease (e.g. RA, lupus, Crohn’s, etc.)  except the other AI issues have unknown triggers and the attack can last for weeks, months or years.  Avoiding gluten can put celiac disease in remission.  We are lucky we do not need surgery or harsh drugs to treat our disease.  

I hope you recover fast!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator