Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Agee

Bought A Yogurt - Scared To Eat It!

Hey ya'll -

I have been gluten-free since last November, dairy-free since last December (except accidental exposure, of course). I quit eating dairy because although I felt better eating gluten-free, I did not feel 100% - and when I quit the cow milk products I started on the real road to recovery.

I am self-diagnosed, but my doctor is 100% behind me. When I told her about eating this way she said she would never ask me to re-gluten in order to get a biopsy.

Anyhoo, I don't know if I'm lactose intolerant or casein intolerant. I'm suspecting lactose, as I've been able to eat goat milk products a couple of times a week and I don't have any bad results. I'm wondering how long those of you who were lactose intolerant because of celiac/gluten intolerance waited until trying cow milk products again?

I bought a yogurt to try it out...but I'm scared of what might happen. I HATE accidentally eating that stuff and I don't have the time to spend half of the day in the toilet for the next week.

Any suggestions?

Maybe try it with some Lactaid tablets?

I would really love to add some yogurt back into my diet. I eat very whole foods (meat, nuts, veg, fruits, only have gluten-free treats on special occasions - like tonight and tomorrow) and I think it will give me more variety.

Help!

Adrienne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If it's just lactose intolerance, yogurt shouldn't give you too much trouble, as the bacteria it's cultured with consume the milk sugar. Some may still be left, so you can trry taking Lactaid (available at any drug store or grocery store) just before you eat it. if that doesn't make any difference, chances are, it's casein.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA