This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To This/pre-test Question

Rachael

Rachael Newbie

Hello all, I'm really glad i found this forum. I'm trying to figure some things out and am finding I can relate to so many of the things being discussed here!! Where i'm at right now is I have been having symptoms that could be Celiac related since I was at least six yrs old I'm 31 now. About a week ago I went to a clinic really fed up with diarrhea/constipation, explnd some symptoms and now going for an Antitissue Transglutaminase blood test:P I wasn't eating much wheat as of the last three months, I never cut it out just bread mainly so I had soy sauce crackers, pizza and pasta here and there probably some hidden gluten as well. The Dr at the clinic said go eat lots of gluten containing foods and see me in a week with your blood test results. I've had an increase and change in symptoms in the last 5 days or so from increasing wheat and can see it is not good for me. I doubt I would be covered for additional testing or that I could even convince a Dr to run more tests if I was. I guess what I would gain if I tested positive is possibly more support from Dr's and maybe a small amount of financial assistance with a gluten free diet (i'm on a really low disability income). I guess the question is what are the odds with this test and is this just for Celiac detection or could it also be an indication of gluten intolerance alone. Also I have some other odd symptoms I haven't run across on this forum or on any searches I've done which i will have to get across to a Dr eventually. The strangest of these is what seems to be greasy urine, has anyone had that or know what that might be? Dr's seem to get tired of listening to all my symptoms about 1/4 way through so they are not getting the picture and of course the picture gets bigger when the symptoms get ignored, very frustrating. I need a good Dr but can't hold my breath. Any thoughts suggestions would be greatly appreciated, this is all rather overwhelming with all the information! Thanks.

Rachael

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

It will take more then a week of gluten to impact the test, more like 3 months. If you get sicker when you add gluten, and gett better when you take it away then you have your answer.

I would suggest at this poitn you go completely gluten-free for a while and see what happens, If your symptons start falling off, then you have your answer and do not need any testing. If they dont, then you need to check outher things.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on the internet, this is just my suggestion as an adlut with celiac disease. :)

Rachael Newbie
It will take more then a week of gluten to impact the test, more like 3 months. If you get sicker when you add gluten, and gett better when you take it away then you have your answer.

I would suggest at this poitn you go completely gluten-free for a while and see what happens, If your symptons start falling off, then you have your answer and do not need any testing. If they dont, then you need to check outher things.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on the internet, this is just my suggestion as an adlut with celiac disease. :)

Hmmm so I'm guessing people have had negative results even after eating gluten for a long time perhaps it has to do with the individual. I'm not sure how much i was having either. I can see how a week wouldn't make much difference on the tests though now after reading some of the other posts. I still feel like I would be better off in the long run with a diagnosis. I'm worried that because my symptoms are so chronic that I wouldn't see improvement for a long time anyway. Of course self harm isn't the way to go either. The medical system would save so much money if they just exercised some preventative measures. I've been to the Dr's office so many times without any help, it's really strange that they are so eager to diagnose my symptoms and give me drugs but have no interest in why i'm sick beyond the most basic tests. I'm thinking maybe they haven't figured out how to cash in on Celiacs or early onset of other diseases:P

Rachael

VydorScope Proficient

For more details on how much gluten you need to eat, and for how long check this artical:

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-45105321956.5c

The "rule of thumb" that members here use is "2-3 pieces of bread everyday for 2-3 months".

Alot fo doctors consider the results of the diet to be diagnositc, my son's peditrician is in that group do docs, my son's GI doc is the kind that wants to do tons of test before commiting.

I tend to agree with teh diet diagnostic as being most reliable any more... :)

Rachael Newbie
For more details on how much gluten you need to eat, and for how long check this artical:

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-45105321956.5c

The "rule of thumb" that members here use is "2-3 pieces of bread everyday for 2-3 months".

Alot fo doctors consider the results of the diet to be diagnositc, my son's peditrician is in that group do docs, my son's GI doc is the kind that wants to do tons of test before commiting.

I tend to agree with teh diet diagnostic as being most reliable any more... :)

Thanks for the link that helps!! :) I certainly may have to go with a diagnosis through diet and not worry so much about the tests. Getting healthy is the priority. As I i've noticed even people with all the tests to proove they can't have gluten sometimes still lack support from people close to them :(

Thanks,

Rachael

VydorScope Proficient
Thanks for the link that helps!! :) I certainly may have to go with a diagnosis through diet and not worry so much about the tests. Getting healthy is the priority. As I i've noticed even people with all the tests to proove they can't have gluten sometimes still lack support from people close to them :(

Thanks,

Rachael

I know many ppl here have that problem, but so far I have not. Hopefully you will not either!

Rachael Newbie

Interesting quote about the tTG which i'm pretty sure is the one I'm going to take.

"Tissue transglutaminase has been identified as the protein that is actually being targeted in the endomysium and the tTG test has been developed to measure antibodies to this protein directly rather than looking for its visual effect on the endomysium so it's easier, faster and less subjective than the endomysial test."

Link to full article Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived