• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Brooke!

Lactose Intolerance & Possible Celiac?

Rate this topic

if any of you could help me out please do. im new here and i was wondering if any of you were mistaken for lactose intolerance and actually hace celiac disease? here are the list of my symptoms:

weakness

nausea after eating

fatigue

bloating

pale sores in the mouth

pain and muscle cramps

abdominal pain

weird moods

can anyone help me out? im extremely lost and still in the data searching stage.

thank you!

hello? please i really need help. im going to get a pfc test on tuesday for my asthma and i want to ask the doctors some questions about celiac and i need you guys help first.

Hi Brooke -

Your symptoms certainly could be Celiac. There are so many symptoms related to Celiac that it's hard to say what is typical. As for lactose intolerance, many celiacs are also lactose intolerant. The damage that gluten does to a celiac's intestines can cause the person to be lactose intolerant. Often, after months of gluten-free eating, celiacs find they add dairy back into their diet with no problems.

Years ago I thought I was lactose intolerant. I did feel better on a lactose-free diet, but I didn't feel 100% better. For years, I mostly stuck to the lactose-free diet. Anytime I cheated (ice cream), I would have stomach cramps. I didn't find out I was gluten intolerant until early last year. After six months on a gluten-free diet, I found that I could add some dairy back into my diet. I now find that if I eat 2-3 servings of diary a day that I'm ok. If I go overboard with the ice cream, milk and cheese, I get an upset tummy.

Explain your symptoms to your Dr. and ask him/her to test you for Celiac. I find the best thing w/ doctors is to straight-up ask for the test. Don't wait for the doctor to suggest it.

Good Luck!!

Your symptoms could certainly be celiac. There are 200 plus symptoms of celiac disease and you have a nice list going! You will need a blood test to determine if you have the antibodies. Do not go gluten-free until you have bloodwork done as NOT eating gluten diminishes the amount of antibodies and your test can be false negs. Keep eating the gluten if you really want the test. If you don't care about a test, go gluten free. You need no one's permission to begin a gluten free lifestyle. And if you're found to have celiac disease, the doctor can't do anything for you but "prescribe" a gluten free diet for life! It's your choice. :)

if any of you could help me out please do. im new here and i was wondering if any of you were mistaken for lactose intolerance and actually hace celiac disease? here are the list of my symptoms:

weakness

nausea after eating

fatigue

bloating

pale sores in the mouth

pain and muscle cramps

abdominal pain

weird moods

can anyone help me out? im extremely lost and still in the data searching stage.

thank you!

Brooke, I had virtually ALL your symptoms for years, and worse the last few years. I had always thought I was lactose intolerant...my problems with dairy went back to birth. Although my mom is celiac, I never suspected that for myself because I never completely identified reactions with wheat....I was eating it pretty much daily,after all. And I didn't get underweight; in fact, the last few years I could stand to lose 10-20 lbs. I had all the asthma symptoms and underwent extensive testing for it, yet because I had pretty strong airways despite all the wheezing and tight chest etc. they claimed I did NOT have asthma. Yet I suffered enough that my doctor put me on Advair, which slightly helped I guess. But after an attack of unbelievable dizziness and extreme nausea that lasted 5 or 6 hours, and as I tried to figure out what triggered this attack, I realized all I had eaten for a day and a half was gluten things. The last item I ate 2 hours prior to the dizziness was a huge bear claw. I'd had dizzy episodes before, but never like this one. This was true vertigo, and I couldn't move, couldn't even open my eyes. So putting 2 and 2 together I started researching, and of course knowing about my mom, I wanted to find out if dizziness was a symptom of celiac. That led to a number of sites including this one, and boy did I learn a lot.

The day after Thanksgiving I went gluten and dairy free, and within a few days all the asthma symptom totally vanished. So did most all the other symptoms, or at least they greatly diminished. Then I decided to get the testing via Enterolab, including the gene test, and what I learned was that I have both the celiac gene (probably from my mom) and the gluten sensitive gene (probably from my father), plus all the positive reactions, plus I also am casein sensitive. It all makes sense now.

I would really really suggest you buy the book "Dangerous Grains" because it will really open your eyes to the whole thing with gluten. And dairy. And realize that doctors are mostly clueless about celiac disease. Their knowledge is sketchy and outdated at best. It's really pathetic how little they know, and after you read this book you will know a lot more than most of them do. Really! And it will help you know how to proceed. You need to be your own advocate here, believe me.