Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eleep

Manic Experience Going Off Gluten?

I've just come home from a couple's counseling session -- my partner (who's submitting his dissertation this week, and is under some stress) and I have been having some really angry arguments. He accused me of being too over-hyped (he suggested that I've been taking too much Adderall -- which I've actually not been doing since this whole gluten thing came up). The counselor asked me a bunch of questions to determine whether I'm manic (I have no history of manic episodes or bipolar disorder -- the only thing that's changed in my life is that I've been running more and cut out the gluten).

Here's the thing -- I have a lot of energy suddenly and I am pretty over-hyped -- this is since going of the gluten a couple of weeks ago. I've also been trying to make up for lost time with my dissertation and dealing with deadlines. I haven't had trouble sleeping -- which would be an indicator of mania.

Has anyone else experience the surge of energy within a few weeks of going gluten-free?

I've just come home from a couple's counseling session -- my partner (who's submitting his dissertation this week, and is under some stress) and I have been having some really angry arguments. He accused me of being too over-hyped (he suggested that I've been taking too much Adderall -- which I've actually not been doing since this whole gluten thing came up). The counselor asked me a bunch of questions to determine whether I'm manic (I have no history of manic episodes or bipolar disorder -- the only thing that's changed in my life is that I've been running more and cut out the gluten).

Here's the thing -- I have a lot of energy suddenly and I am pretty over-hyped -- this is since going of the gluten a couple of weeks ago. I've also been trying to make up for lost time with my dissertation and dealing with deadlines. I haven't had trouble sleeping -- which would be an indicator of mania.

Has anyone else experience the surge of energy within a few weeks of going gluten-free?

are you still taking any adderall? if you haven't reduced your dosage, you may be absorbing more of it now that your intestines are healing, which is much the same as taking more. other than that. it may just be the change that feeling so much better brings, particularly in combination with his stress.

PLease be careful. This brings up a past nightmare for me. I have been to counciling sessions with my daughter (one of two). Adderal can be very dangerous and can alter the person that you truely are.

If you have more energy and are feeling good, slowly decrease the adderal. Go very slowly as there will be side effect. And, Please consult your doctor.

Continue with gluten free, totally.....shampoos, soaps, lipsticks, and so much more. Try this totally, and maybe the adderal can hit the road. I hate that stuff. That stuff scares me for you.

End of lecture. Hope things get better between you and your friend. Keep in touch.

Lisa

Good questions -- just for clarity, I was taking 10 mg of Adderall once in the mornings during weekdays to begin with -- and only inconsistently at that because I was starting to suspect that ADD wasn't the issue. The week I tried to "gluten challenge" in preparation for blood tests I stopped taking it entirely because I was just feeling too sick and didn't want drugs to muck with my system.

Since going gluten-free, I've only taken the 10 mg once on Tuesdays and Thursdays as an extra precaution when I'm teaching -- so I've actually been taking it less lately.

I've actually told the adderall-doctor that I want to stop the prescription -- I'm a little scared about all I've heard about the stimulants and their possible abuse, so I've always been really cautious with them.

Oh yes -- and I've been taking the regular Adderall -- that stays in your system for about 5 hours -- not the extended release version because they tried that first and it _DID_ keep me from sleeping -- even when I took 10 mg at 8 am and went to bed at midnight!

Ecch -- I keep remembering stuff -- other than 4 10mg Adderalls in the last three weeks, the only things I've been taking are multivitamins, fish oil, and BC pills (all checked for gluten) -- however, I did add COQ10 enzyme supplements because I was worrying about brain function and my primary symptom was "brain fog" (writing my dissertation -- a bit concerned that the investment I've made in my head doesn't start to fail me!).

Guest Robbin

I had the same thing happen to me after the first couple of weeks. My husband, who IS bipolar thought I was manic! I just had so much energy after being sick and "zoned out" for so long. I am coming off that somewhat--maybe because I "got glutened"! After you've been so sick, it is no wonder you want to conquer the world. I liken it to a puppy, who after being in his cage takes a nutty running fit. Take care of yourself and try some extra B vitamins, B6, B12--really helped me relax. It may take a few weeks, but it seemed to help me. Also, ADD can be channeled to do great things. People used to be called "movers and shakers" and "go-getters"! If , indeed it even is ADD, as you said-it could be the gluten. As long as you're sleeping, I wouldn't be worried at all. I wish I had more energy everyday! A lot of things to do to make up for lost sick time! Good Luck!

Within a week of removing gluten, I felt incredibly energized......it has been this way for most of the five weeks I've been following the diet. I don't know if I"m manic or not......it doesn't really FEEL like mania, just high energy, kind of like someone who's hyper, maybe. I don't know. However, the 3 or so times I've accidentally had gluten, I feel foggy, tired, and not so great (ugh, and MUST be near a toilet!). I do have some trouble sleeping, but always have.....I am hoping that will work itself out, somehow.

I don't know, are we manic? I don't think so.....I just think gluten was the cause of my long-standing depression, it seriously effects our brains, and the fog lifts when we remove it.

Time will tell, I suspect!

susan

Well, to report back -- it's definitely not mania or a reaction to cutting out the Adderall. Now that I've had a week or so to balance out my energy levels (I've started running again), I think I can report that it was simply that "puppyish" surge of energy -- well, combined with some not-so-puppyish anxiety because my boyfriend is dissertation-stressing-out in a major way and it's been making me jumpy in reaction. We were having really hotheaded arguments about the dishes and whose turn it was to feed the cats -- which was not exactly like us. Not that we don't argue, but the dishes and the cats have never been a source of conflict in 3 years of living together!