• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest BERNESES

Help! Didn't Cook My Beans Enough

Rate this topic

Guest BERNESES

Has anyone ever gotten isck from this? I made chili this afternoon with Goya's small red beans. I followed the directions which were to boil them for 2 minutes and then let them soak in hot water for an hour. But, when I ate the chili the beans were definitely not done. I ate some and then threw the rest out. I noticed I started feeling nauseous a few hours ago, and I though "Hmm... I wonder..." then I found this online:

Several varieties of beans, especially red kidney beans, are poisonous in their raw state. The beans contain phytohaemagglutinin, which is toxic to people and animals. But soaking beans in water for a least five hours and cooking them in fresh water for at least ten minutes will destroy the toxins. I DIDN't DO THIS!!!!!!!

Beware of cooking beans in crockpots that do not get hot enough to boil water. Some beans are actually more toxic if they are heated to about 175-degrees, but not boiled.

Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pain within one to three hours after eating. Although most people recover within a day, some might need to be hospitalized to replace lost fluids.

Ugh!

I don't think you'll get too sick unless you ate a lot. I've eaten a lot of beans, some of them undercooked and gotten nothing worse than a little stomach ache.

I think the package must not have given the full directions. What you described is called the "quick soak" method for softening the beans to get them ready to cook. You do this instead of soaking them overnight, which is actually more healthy, BTW. Anyway, next time you make chili, cook them for 4-5 hours AFTER either soaking them or quick soaking them. And don't ever put in tomato sauce before they're done or they won't ever finish cooking. I learned this from experience.

Has anyone ever gotten isck from this? I made chili this afternoon with Goya's small red beans. I followed the directions which were to boil them for 2 minutes and then let them soak in hot water for an hour. But, when I ate the chili the beans were definitely not done. I ate some and then threw the rest out. I noticed I started feeling nauseous a few hours ago, and I though "Hmm... I wonder..." then I found this online:

Several varieties of beans, especially red kidney beans, are poisonous in their raw state. The beans contain phytohaemagglutinin, which is toxic to people and animals. But soaking beans in water for a least five hours and cooking them in fresh water for at least ten minutes will destroy the toxins. I DIDN't DO THIS!!!!!!!

Beware of cooking beans in crockpots that do not get hot enough to boil water. Some beans are actually more toxic if they are heated to about 175-degrees, but not boiled.

Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pain within one to three hours after eating. Although most people recover within a day, some might need to be hospitalized to replace lost fluids.

Ugh!

I've made chili numerous times but I use the Goya kidney beans in a can. They are already cooked and I add them in the last 5 to 10 mins of the cooking time of the chili. Never had a problem.

Tom

Guest BERNESES
I've made chili numerous times but I use the Goya kidney beans in a can. They are already cooked and I add them in the last 5 to 10 mins of the cooking time of the chili. Never had a problem.

Tom

That's what I usually do, but this time I decided to be "gourmet" and do it from scratch. Big mistake! I feel like I'm looped on codeine- not a good feeling.

I always soak them over night... Then give them a good rinse, boil for 10 minutes, rinse again, then cook them up. It gets rid of a lot of the gas.