• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest queenie

Gluten In The Intestine

Rate this topic

Guest queenie

after you quit eating gluten, how do you get it out of your intestine? it feels like i'm still not absorbing my food very well.

the gluten itself leaves the body fairly quickly (it's probably gone by now - average clearance times are 12 to 60 hours), but the chemical reaction it starts can continue for 5 to 10 days, and the recovery of the intestines can take longer.

Unfortunately, it takes longer than 4 days to start absorbing things normally again. Even though you may not have any gluten in your intestines, the damage that has been done in the past could take months to heal (the healing time depends on how badly damaged the vili are). I've been gluten-free for over 4 months, and I'm still not absorbing foods well, and the doctor said that it could take another 4 or more months to be better.

Good luck with everything and I hope that you feel better soon.

Its not a matter of clearing gluten out, it's healing the damage that you already have. I'm 10+ months gluten-free, and while I've made good progress, I'm not there yet. It'll happen, it just takes time :)