• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

wolfie

Steroid Shot...could It Have Gluten And Would That Effect Me?

Rate this topic

On Sunday I had an allergic reaction to something and ended up going to Urgent Care for it. My throat was itching and it was more difficult to swallow. They gave me a steroid shot (solumedrol) and a 5 day pack of Medrol to take. It didn't even cross my mind to make sure the shot was gluten-free, but now I am wondering a couple of things. 1. Could that effect/hurt me if there was gluten in it? I guess the reason I didn't think about it is b/c I was not eating or swallowing it. 2. I had a severe migraine and diarrhea the following day (12 hours later). I couldn't even get off of the couch. Side effect of the steroid or gluten reaction? My sister thought it was odd b/c usually steroids make people feel very good, not the way I was feeling. I did call the Urgent Care dr back to check to see if I could skip the Medrol pack....I can't risk feeling like that for 5 days...I have kids to take care of, and he agreed that I shouldn't take them. I do have an appt. with my allergist tomorrow to address the new symptoms (itchy throat, harder time swallowing).

Anyone have any idea? TIA!

Thanks guys...I appreciate the info.

Just another drug to add to my list of many that have some sort of nasty reaction...LOL!