• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Lisette

Too Dense To Understand Results! Help, Please?

Rate this topic

Just got my son's Enterolab Gluten Sensitive and Complete Gene Panel results - everything came back within normal ranges. The IgA was 6 out of 10, Fecal Fat was 89 out of 300, anti-casein was 5 out of 10. At the end of report it says he has two copies of a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity ("DQ1 or DQ3 not subtype 8"). It says having two copies means an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity.

OK, what do I do now? Do the two genes mean that he should go gluten free? He still has many of the symptoms of Gluten Intolerance, along with his seizures.

Just hoping from some input from lots of you guys who have been through this before us!

Thanks so Much!

Elaine

basically, it means that he's got the hammer, nails, and wood, but no one to build the bookshelf. he *could* develop celiac disease, but nothing has triggered the active state of the disease. he does not need to be gluten free until the disease is triggered (his body is not producing antibodies, is not reacting to, gluten at this point). if he is experiencing any symptoms, you might want to try him on the diet to see if that aleviates the problem, however.

Just got my son's Enterolab Gluten Sensitive and Complete Gene Panel results - everything came back within normal ranges. The IgA was 6 out of 10, Fecal Fat was 89 out of 300, anti-casein was 5 out of 10. At the end of report it says he has two copies of a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity ("DQ1 or DQ3 not subtype 8"). It says having two copies means an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity.

OK, what do I do now? Do the two genes mean that he should go gluten free? He still has many of the symptoms of Gluten Intolerance, along with his seizures.

Just hoping from some input from lots of you guys who have been through this before us!

Thanks so Much!

Elaine

If he is having symptoms it certainly won't hurt to give the diet a try. If it helps you'll know and if it doesn't then you can have a wait and see attitude and reintroduce the diet later if needed. Make sure you become familiar with the non-GI aspects so that if he gets skin problems or depression, for example, in adolesence you will know to try the diet again.

If he's having seizures, I'd keep looking for what's wrong since the tests confirm it's not the gluten. I agree with what others are saying that you need to watch for signs since he's predisposed to gluten intolerance, but apparently that's not what's causing his symptoms now. I have two gluten intolerant genes, but my IgA was 60, and that was after two and a half months gluten free.

Just wanted to tell everyone thanks for answering my questions! We are still debating whether to start the diet or not, but I have my gluten-free shopping list all made up after reading the posts in the gluten-free Products/Foods area!

Thanks again,

Elaine