• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

GravStars

Transparent Teeth, Acid Reflux

Rate this topic

ok, about 6 years ago I noticed that my front teeth, starting at the tips, were becoming transparent, like the white thickness is disappearing leaving a thin transparent effect. like you can see the white pulpy part, but like its receding from the tips almost (?). and all my teeth feel kind of unusually sharp and craggy, so maybe erosion is happening all over but is more noticeable on the thinner front teeth. i also have a bit of a small line of brown stain on a tooth. anyway, is this typical for "tooth enamel defects" in celiac patients (i'm undiagnosed). i do seem to have some reflux (no heartbearn, just occasional regurgitation into throat) which has been there mildly off and on since childhood. i am not aware of stomach acid coming into my mouth, which i understand can cause enamel erosion, just wondering if anyone else had something similar?

My teeth have 14 caps because of the enamel being gone. My teeth would break off and then they started not to be able to hold the fillings for very long. I have 4 teeth on the bottom front that are translucent because of no enamel. I find them disgusting. I was thinking about having them also capped, but then I got the bill for my 18 year old granddaughters wisdom teeth out, full braces, implant and a false tooth on the implant. Needless to say her beautiful white teeth are more important than an old lady's. Don't ask what her teeth are going to do to our fixed income! She lives with us.

PLEASE do not panic yet over the enamel. I was almost 62 years old before I got diagnosed with Celiac and the damage had many years to progress. Just follow the diet while you are young and you won't have the severe problems older people like me ended up with. :rolleyes:

My teeth have 14 caps because of the enamel being gone. My teeth would break off and then they started not to be able to hold the fillings for very long. I have 4 teeth on the bottom front that are translucent because of no enamel. I find them disgusting. I was thinking about having them also capped, but then I got the bill for my 18 year old granddaughters wisdom teeth out, full braces, implant and a false tooth on the implant. Needless to say her beautiful white teeth are more important than an old lady's. Don't ask what her teeth are going to do to our fixed income! She lives with us.

that's my understanding too. but my reflux is odd, i get a burp-like regurgitation of food into my throat sometimes, but i never get heartburn or pain in my stomach or esophagus, althougth sometimes acidic food bothers my stomach. and i never taste acid in my mouth, but maybe i wouldn't have to for it to be there. the tooth transparency thing is obnoxious to look at. i guess i will have to look into dental caps. thanks for the replies.

I use to be bulmic and i had to have one tooth pulled (in the way back) because the acid deteroted away. i use to binge and purge alot, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. just check with you dentist, they can help you with them. as far as the reflux the doctors had my daughter go back and wheat for about 5 months (for testing, which she got to sick anyways), and now she has refluz again(she even had a surgery to stop it) ashtma, and sleep apnea. so are they from wheat and gluten the doctor said i can't prove it, she has been on the diet for a week now and her reflux is slowly going away. good luck