• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

nik_ed

Homecanned Items

Rate this topic

I have canned some pickles, tomatoes and some beets from years past(last year and year before). My question is this: I used a metal pan and a wooden spoon that I am sure had glutuen on it. Would it hurt me to use the juice, pickles, etc.? I made goluash(sp?) with my gluten-free pasta and fresh hamburger. Then I poured on my tomoto juice without even thinking about the glutened spoon I used for stirring the juice. Could I still eat this? Do I have to throw out all my jars of items(over 50 or so jars)? Need some input before I eat this golaush. Thanks a bunch.

Nicki

Guest Viola

Ah Nicki that is a tough one. However, if you are sure they have been cross contaminated, it likely would not be a good idea to eat them. Perhaps you could share them with neighbours or family so your wonderful canning doesn't go to waste. Canning is a lot of work, and it's a shame to lose it :(

Thanks for the quick answers. I am not that sensative so I don't know what would happen if I did eat it. I have been gluten-free for about 2 months now. Again thanks for the answers.

Nicki

I have canned some pickles, tomatoes and some beets from years past(last year and year before). My question is this: I used a metal pan and a wooden spoon that I am sure had glutuen on it. Would it hurt me to use the juice, pickles, etc.? I made goluash(sp?) with my gluten-free pasta and fresh hamburger. Then I poured on my tomoto juice without even thinking about the glutened spoon I used for stirring the juice. Could I still eat this? Do I have to throw out all my jars of items(over 50 or so jars)? Need some input before I eat this golaush. Thanks a bunch.

Nicki

What do you mean had gluten on them?? As in, had been used with gluten foods previously, but had been washed, or literally had gluten on them?

As in, had been used with gluten foods but had been washed kind of thing. I am thinking DH used that wooden spoon to stir regular macaroni with. After washing it, I then I used it to stir my hot juices with.

Nicki

Usually washing something will make it safe...however, there has been some debate over wooden spoons "retaining" gluten after washing. There are some folks on here to share utensils between safe food and food with gluten. I think sometimes that can be done...I choose not to simply so I do not have to worry out it. My dh has his own pan, griddle and spatula for his 'gluten' foods. I usually choose to err on the side of caution... That's stinks though--I know how much work canning can be!