• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Lynxear

Making Sandwiches For An Outing

Rate this topic

I may be preaching to the converted but I had to post this idea

I LOVE BREAD...I think I told you that before. Well recently I was introduced to kinnickinnick brown rice bread. Now I am not really fond of "raw" non-wheat breads and this is a bit better but not perfect.

What I did do though was toast the bread first before making the sandwich....but I did not toast it to the point of making it crispy. I just left it in the toaster for about 45 secs or so and then cancelled the toasting.

Then I used my Philly creamcheese as a spread plus some lettuce and a slice of ham and put the sandwich along with another in one of those plastic containers with the snap lids. I put it in a small soft "refigerator" carry case along with some trail mix and apples. I then went out on a birdwatching/photography outting (new hobby).

After 4 hours we stopped for lunch....I tested the sandwiches....they were GREAT! Texture/flavour everything. I now can have a sandwich I like....Perhaps it is good the bread is expensive (all of them seem to be {sigh}...this way the sandwiches are an outting treat.

That is great!

Now that my son is in the throws of baseball season, we do "sandwiches" about twice a week for our evening meal. I make them and we take them to the ballpark! Me, I always use white corn tortilla's. I just havne't been able to get Gluten free bread to work....oh and the cost just about kills me! :rolleyes: LOL

Monica

Sounds like a good sandwich :) I toast my Kinnikinnick bread too, although I really toast it up, and eat it with some miracle whip, horseradish sauce and ham :) I bet cream cheese would be good if I did dairy!

Guest Viola

I do the Kinnikinnick bread as well. If I don't really want toast, I give it a few seconds in the microwave and that gives it a nice texture. Cream cheese is yummy, it's a shame you can't have it Jen. If I'm doing the strawberry cream cheese, I use a toaster and get it nice an crisp :P

Guest Viola
Sounds great....can Kinickinick only be ordered online, or am I mistaken?

We can buy it in our grocery store in Nelson. 'Save on Foods' It's in the freezer section, along with the donuts etc. :D

thanks for the tip. what kind of bread did you use?

It is "kinnickinnick brown rice bread" sandwich loaf. My 1/2 toasting could well be the equivalent of nuking it in a Microwave. I found it to be very warm but soft at the endof the toasting. I think storing it in a sealed plastic container is good since no further moisture is lost. The bread really doesn't toast so much as it dries out...so I don't mind cutting it short as far as toasting goes.

My next experiment is it use "Rice" wrappers instead of corn or of course the forbidden wheat flour tortillas. I have had them in Vietnamese restaurants with shrimp, carrots and bean sprouts. I kind of wonder if other fillings would work. They are very cheap and taste not bad with dipping sauces.

My next experiment is to use "Rice" wrappers instead of corn or of course the forbidden wheat flour tortillas. I have had them in Vietnamese restaurants with shrimp, carrots and bean sprouts. I kind of wonder if other fillings would work. They are very cheap and taste not bad with dipping sauces.

Yes, these are great. You can fill them with just about anything. I've done lettuce with blue cheese dressing. cole slaw, anything cold or hot can go in them so long as it's not messy.

My next experiment is it use "Rice" wrappers instead of corn or of course the forbidden wheat flour tortillas. I have had them in Vietnamese restaurants with shrimp, carrots and bean sprouts. I kind of wonder if other fillings would work. They are very cheap and taste not bad with dipping sauces.

You can make yummy tuna salad "sandwiches" with rice wrappers.