• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

TCA

Looking For gluten-free, Cf, Egg Free Cheese

Rate this topic

I've done cf before, but I never found a cheese alternative that was completely casein and dairy free. If something says VEGAN, what does that really mean? Is it supposed to be free of all egg, dairy, meat, etc? I've eaten VEGAN foods before, but I'm not a vegetarian, so wasn't so concerned about the real meaning. I'm dying for an omelette right now. Oh well, off to eat my nuts a berries..... :P

Someone once posted that hard cheddar goat cheese was casein free. I had Henry's market order me some and it tastes great.

Goat cheese has casein. The structure of the protein is just slightly different and some people can tolerate it.

You can get Vegan Slices by Soymage. Chreese is another option (www.chreese.com). Or you can make cheesy sauces out of raw nuts.

tofutti slices, cream cheese and sour cream are great!

also check out vegweb.com for vegan "cheese" recipes.

and CHREESE is great!

haha I love saying that about chreese and then bracing for people's reactions. But I agree. I like it too!

haha I love saying that about chreese and then bracing for people's reactions. But I agree. I like it too!

have you ever tried the chreese dips? like for nachos? they are awesome!

I have't tried those yet. Maybe I'll order some! I eat the mac and chreese sometimes if I'm having a really lazy day. It's great gluten-free/df/sf convenience food! I think I like the cheddar penne better than the alfredo one, but they're both good :)

regular goat cheese has casein. I don't remember if it was Tarnelberry or Rachel that wrote that hard cheddar goat cheese was casein free. I am very allergic to dairy and I don't have a problem with the hard cheddar, but regular goat cheese sets me off. It was something that my health food store did not carry and so they special ordered it.

I used to eat this Gluten-Free Mac & Chreese I'd get from Earth Fare - I wasn't even gluten-free at the time, I just liked it. I think it was called End of the Road or Road's End or something with Road.

As for Vegan Cheese, like someone else said if it says VEGAN then there's no casein, lactose or anything animal. Some of those Soy and Rice cheeses have lactose or something, and you'll notice those don't say Vegan (which I never really understood... well, I guess it's for non-lacto vegetarians). Just about any health food store should have the Vegan kind.

Galaxy Nutritional's Vegan line is great for this.

Also, I highly recommmend investing in the Uncheese Cookbook by Stepaniak.

yep, vegan cannot have anything derived from an animal - no gelatin (unless it's one of the new, vegetable derived gelatins), no honey (product of bees), no casein, no eggs, no meat.

Thanks for the education. I've tried the Road's end gravies before and they're pretty good. I'll have to look for the chreese. Can't imagine a liquid cheese, but I'll try it!

Thanks!