• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

barilla

A Very Strange Symptom..

Rate this topic

So, I am a new celiac as of May 1st and have been gluten free since then.

Yesterday my throat was itchy. Within minutes later, my throat was so sore! I could hardly swallow. My eyes started filling up with water. It hurt really bad to swallow. I tried gargaling with warm salt water, chamomile tea, I even got the heating pad out! I took some liquid tyelonol cold ( for sore throats). The pain went away a little bit. But I kept feeling something in the back of my throat. Like it was flem or something. I kept blowing my nose trying to get the flem out. Then I went into the bathroom and checked it out in the mirror and the thing that hangs in the back of your throat (in the middle) (called the uvula). It was looong! It laid forward on my tongue. It was causing me to gag. So my husband told me to go to the emergency room last night. He was afraid I could choke while I would be sleeping at night. So the doctor did a throat culture and that came back negative. He gave me predisone and benadryl. He said it could be an allergy to a food. huh! I know I had no gluten. BUT...

I have decided to avoid dairy products until I get healed a little. I went to the store yesterday and got Silk which is soy milk. I got chocolate flavor. I was in heaven when I got to drink my chocolate soymilk. I remembered it happened after I drank it. But I can't remember how long after. That is the only new thing out of the ordinary that I had. So I wonder if I am allergic to soy? Has this ever happened to anybody???

When I eat soy a lot of the symptoms occur in my throat. I don't think that's ever happened to my uvula...but my throat does close up and swell and it gets really hard for me to breathe.

Given the reaction you had, if this was the first time recently you'd had any soy, I would encourage you avoid the soy for now, and go to your doctor (or an allergist if you can self-refer) and get tested for allergies. This would be caused by an allergy, not an intolerance (like celiac), and given the reaction, is *not* something you want to 'test' at home, if it is an allergy. (Did the benadryl and pred bring it down fairly well?)

I agree with Tiffany. I think that sounds like an allergy petty bad so if you think that soy is causing that I would avoid it. Try to pay attention to everything you eat to make sure nothing else is causing that.

Tiffany is right. This is a true allergic reaction. The next time you could go into anaphylactic shock, it is not safe to eat or drink soy again to test if that was the problem. It could kill you.

You need to be tested for soy allergy, and if that is what it is, you need to carry an epi-pen with you, in case you accidentally ingest soy (like those kids with a peanut allergy).

Tiffany is right. This is a true allergic reaction. The next time you could go into anaphylactic shock, it is not safe to eat or drink soy again to test if that was the problem. It could kill you.

You need to be tested for soy allergy, and if that is what it is, you need to carry an epi-pen with you, in case you accidentally ingest soy (like those kids with a peanut allergy).

It definitely sounds like an allergy. It could possibly just be enviromental allergies but if it happens after drinking soy than I would cut soy out and maybe get tested to confirm the soy allergy diagnosis.

Hi all...

My uvula (?) is pretty much back to it's normal size. The predisone and benadryl is helping. I'll have to go and see an allergist to figure out what it was.

I noticed in the ingredients for the soy milk,, it said Sea Salt. And I also gargaled with Sea Salt and warm water to help the soreness. I wonder if I am allergic to shellfish or something like that. But I had a lobster on mother's day, and I had no reaction. Maybe my body chemistry is changing... I also noticed in the ingredients it said, Cocoa (dutch process). Does anyone know anything about dutch process. I can eat things with soy in it. For example, I've been eating peanut M&M's all day and it has soy lecithin in it. Which I asume comes from soybeans. I am having no problem with that. How do they test for soy allergies. A blood test?

Thanks

many people with soy allergies, even anaphylactic soy allergies, can handle soy lecithin, because it's the soy protein that's the problem, and the lecithin has the protein removed. (some people are still bothered by even this component of soy, of course.) they will most likely do some combination of skin tests or blood tests, depending on whether or not you've still be having it. sea salt and crustaceans are not contraindications allergy wise.

I looked this up on google,

"Dutch process chocolate is chocolate that has been treated with an alkalizing agent to modify its color and give it a more mild flavor. It forms the basis for much of modern chocolate candy. It is used in ice cream, beverages, and baking. The development of the Dutch process by Dutch chocolate maker Conrad J. van Houten, along with his development of the method of removing fat from cacao beans by hydraulic press around 1828, formed the basis for cocoa powder and simplified chocolate culture."

Lye is an alkali, I'm just wondering if any of the caustic residue stays behind and maybe you are very sensitive to it. I was real excited about chocolate soy milk too but it made me feel funny - no swelling - just worse instead of better.

I also get the sore throat. It seems to be getting better slowly after gluten free for about 10 days. I think maybe soda pop makes it worse, though I'm not sure. I'm not ready to give that up yet though!

Melodi :)