• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I have on a gluten free diet for about five months. No cheater, cheater, gluten eater for me. As soon as I went gluten free I couldn't believe how much pain I was in ALL the time. So cheating is not worth the pain, although on the rare occassion I get something cross-contaminated or maybe I missed one of the wierd chemical ingredients that I am still learning, I know right away.

My celiac went undiagnosed for at least 10 years and most likely as long as 20 years. Can you believe that? My doctor said I am very malnourished and I am on iron and calcium therapy.

For the most part I eat fresh fruits, veggies, meats seasoned with fresh herbs and gluten-free products that I purchase.

The pain and bloating have gone away, but the diarrhea is going on and on. It is mainly water and it will come on fast. Anyone else having this problem or dealt with it? How long will it take for my intestinal track to heal?

Any suggestions?

I have read that it can take up to 1-2 years to completely heal. It is great that your pain is gone, hopefully the D will come to an end in the near future too. You many want to go back through the foods you have been eating, just to double check. I always do that if I am not feeling good, just to rule it out.

Hang in there! It took years for the damage to happen, it will take a while to heal.

I've been gluten-free for over 3 years now, and I have a combo of chronic diarrhea and chronic constipation. :P I go a stretch of 2-4 days where I pretty much live in the toilet and anything I eat/drink goes right through me, and then 2-4 days where I dont go at all (even if I eat dairy to try and make myself go!).

Hopefully for you, tho, it'll clear up!

~lis~