• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

anyone trust there store brand meats? the Rachers Reserve? i got a crap load of steak from them and am going to grill them up and eat them tonight but figured i would ask anyways.....

Safeway (which is also Dominicks, Randall's, and Tom Thumb depending on region) has a gluten-free list you can call and ask for. It's HUGE so they have to mail it to you. A surprising amount of Safeway foods are gluten-free. Also, plain meats are almost always safe, and it has to be labelled if it's not, its the pre-cooked and marinated stuff you have to worry about.

yeah no ingrediant list on the steak so im just gonna presume its safe. hope its good safeway meat is so much better looking then wincos- wincos meat is brown sometimes and i meen all of there meat is brown sometimes

the USDA has pervue over meat, and they require that anything that adds nutritional value (and any gluten containing ingredient is considered to add nutritional value) be put on the label. so if there's nothing on the label stating a gluten containing ingredient, it's safe.

Last night for dinner I had a 2 inch thick NY Stirp steak that I bought from Safeway. It was a Rancher's Reserve and I have to tell you...it was the best steak i have had since leaving Texas. It was purfect, before and after it was grilled. I haven't had any problems with their meat since we've been in Maryland. (That would be a year, and we didn't have a Safeway in Oklahoma) Makes me want another steak just thinking about it... :P