• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

O.K. I am puzzled... I know that there is "usually" weight loss with celiac disease, but is it possible to gain weight?

The GE thinks it might be celiac disease, but I have never read anything about weight gain.

I had a gastro bypas about 14 years ago and have since been dx with a vitamin E and b12 defficency. I have not had any other problems from the gastric bp, but have gone up and down in weight... could this be tied to celiac disease?

I just had a EGd and colonoscopy done last week so I will have the results on the 6th of june. In the mean time I am doing a bunch of research.

The only other consistent things that I have had is terrible migraines. I have tried vegetarian diets in the past, and going off all breads, but never watched gluten very closely.

thanks for the advice...

O.K. I am puzzled... I know that there is "usually" weight loss with celiac disease, but is it possible to gain weight?

The GE thinks it might be celiac disease, but I have never read anything about weight gain.

I had a gastro bypas about 14 years ago and have since been dx with a vitamin E and b12 defficency. I have not had any other problems from the gastric bp, but have gone up and down in weight... could this be tied to celiac disease?

I just had a EGd and colonoscopy done last week so I will have the results on the 6th of june. In the mean time I am doing a bunch of research.

The only other consistent things that I have had is terrible migraines. I have tried vegetarian diets in the past, and going off all breads, but never watched gluten very closely.

thanks for the advice...

forgot to add one thing... my teeth are horrible! I have had many dental procedures done over the past 10 years, but nothing has helped... still all bad.

Hi there, I have weight gain and my naturopath tells me it is because after years of this problem, my adrenal gland is secreting way too much cortisol (a stress hormone) and therefore weight gain. My symptoms have been very atypical too and my doctors are very confused and disbelieving. weight gain, constipation instead of diarrhea, most of my symptoms are neurological and I went through 2 years of bad migraines. My only advice to you is to have the biopsy and diagnosis before going gluten free because once you have and are feeling so much better it will be near impossible to eat the gluten in order for a proper diagnosis (this is the boat I'm in right now).

Good luck (((((hugs))))))) Rachelle K

I gained weight, someone said it's because your body isn't able to absorb anything so it grabs what it can absorb which is fat, that's why no matter how well I ate, I still gained weight. I couldn't loose it either, because my body thought I was starving.

also, my teeth are pretty bad, due to malnourishment (not getting enough vitamins)