This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ne Cola. Sc

snowygiraffe

Compassion Newbie

Hello everyone, I too live in Columbia, and there is an active support group here. They meet once a month, but I am not sure where, or how many. I have the information at work though, and not at home. So I will have to get that to you on Monday.

I have only been gluten-free for a month now, so I am still learning, but Earth Fare has lots of signs up for areas in their store that have gluten-free products, but after a spendy evening there tonight I felt like all I walked out with is flour! :blink:

I have heard that Rosewood Market also has a great eating area that understands about gluten-free eating.

I live in NE Columbia and Red Bowl in Sparkleberry has a gluten-free menu!! And they actually know what you are talking about when you ask for it, so that was exciting. Also Miyo's was helpful when I went there as well.

Nice to meet everyone :).

Compassion

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Turtle Enthusiast

Yes, you are correct! The meetings are usually on Mondays at Nine Richland Medical Park(??))!

We have just had a hard time getting to the meetings due to other committments, being glutened, etc. Best of luck to you and let us know if we can help.

Other places to eat at:

Red Bowl

Carraba's

Bonefish Grill

Outback (although double check with them to make sure they make your meal gluten-free)

Red Robin (should be opening soon at Sandhills)

• 3 months later...
morrisgirl Newbie

So I'm joining a bit late but I saw that there were other people with Celiac disease in SC so I thought i'd join in.

I'm a 18 (soon to be 19) year old who was just diagnosed in my first semester of college (not exactly what I had planned).

Im home for a semester with my parents trying to tackle this whole thing without the issue of dorm rooms and dinning halls. Im new to SC as well (we moved here in July). I'm about 20 mins outside of Charleston (so not so close). But I thought I'd post on here anyways. This whole thing has been kinda discouraging so any ideas of support groups would be nice (I may even be willing to drive an hour or so).

• 9 months later...
Worriedtodeath Enthusiast
Hey,

There is a support group in West Cola. I don't have the info with me at the moment but will be at home tomarrow night and will pm you. We have not been because its so far away and is geared towards adults. :( Have you tried Earth Fare or Rosewood Market? They may not have everything but between the two we get what we need :D . My daughter will be glad to know shes not the only celiac in all of SC. :lol: She feels like it now.

Jean

Not only is she not the only in SC She's not the only one in ELGIN!!! We are just getting started on this path but have all ready figured out that the boys have been missed all these years.

Stacie

• 4 months later...
hoping-GFs-for-me Newbie

This discussion is old, I know... but I hope someone is still active in these board!

I am a grad student at USC and work at another school nearby and am trying gluten-free as a possible way to solve multiple health problems I've had--what I'm wondering

Any good restaurants that are gluten-free?

Specifically this week, I'm suppose to go to Nona's.

I'm new to this and still don't know what to say or questions to ask.

• 1 year later...
The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast

Hi,

I appreciate that it's been a year since anyone posted to the thread, but I'm still having trouble finding the celiac support group in Columbia. I emailed turtle at the address above (actually it was probably on the other Columbia group thread) and received no response. I know there's a group because I met a member not too many months ago but wasn't interested in joining at that time and so foolishly failed to ask for meeting time and place. I'd be very grateful for any information anyone can share.

Note to hoping-gluten-free's-for-me! should you happen to look in on this after a year: Nonnah's, you no doubt found out already, is basically a bakery. Not a lot of scope for gluten-free there. I like Mai Thai on 378 in West Columbia and Pho Viet on Decker in Dentsville. No guarantee that they're completely gluten-free, and cross-contamination is possible, but I never had any problem with either. El Burrito on Harden is mentioned upthread and ought to be a good place for you if you're at USC. Unfortunately, otherwise you mainly need to go to chains and ask for the gluten-free menu (and also for the manager, as s/he will likely be more clued in than the server). Bonefish Grill and Outback are said to be good. Red Lobster and Olive Garden the pits. (Not saying the food is bad; there just is no gluten-free menu.)

• 3 weeks later...

In the end, I have to reply to myself. The group is the Celiac Sprue Association (CSA). I still don't know when meetings are held, but there's a picnic at Saluda Shoals Park on June 14th from 2-5 pm. All Celiacs and their families are welcome. Admission to the park is free if you mention the celiac group or Redbud Shelter (where the picnic is being held) at the gate. You can bring a covered dish or not as you choose. The CSA asks for a $3 donation to help defray the cost of the shelter rental. For further information, call Sandra at 781-6395.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

scmom Newbie

Hello! I live just outside of Cayce myself. I suspect I may celiac disease. I have a follow up appt. (blood work)with my Dr. on Thurs. In the last 4 weeks or so I developed what I thought was a food allergy. It seems it may be a gluten issue. I was glad when I found this board! I didn't realize how much of my life centered around FOOD! I feel some what better now. I still have a lot to learn. Just the other day I grabbed a bag of pretzels and ate 3 of them before I thought about it. My leg and throat started swelling. I'm not happy that I have to give up my grandmother's mac n cheese and Zesto's fried chicken <_< . I'm trying to stay postive, it has been a challenge to rewire my brain. Grocery shopping, meal planning, going out to eat and entertaining family and friends is now a challenge. Something I've never had a worry about before. I know it could be a lot worse. In fact it will be a lot better in the long run. I'm glad to know that there are other people in this southern fried state. I was thinking I was the only one. FYI-Rosewood Market is my favorite store so farand Mai Thai on 378 rocks.

it has been a challenge to rewire my brain. Grocery shopping, meal planning, going out to eat and entertaining family and friends is now a challenge.

Really, it's a blast, but certainly an ugly shock at first. Giving up Rush's was the hard part for me, and Cici's, and Chinese buffets. On the other hand, I already loved cooking, so basically cooking all my own meals came somewhat naturally to me. If you're just outside Cayce, 14 Carrots in Lexington may be more convenient to you. EarthFare is also quite good. Hope you can make it to the picnic 6/14 (see my reply just above yours for further details). Let's see... best gluten-free pasta is probably Tinkyada, best pizza mix is probably Chebe cheese bread. They also make an actual pizza mix, but that one has the basil and oregano mixed in already, which I don't care for; the cheese bread is the same stuff without spices. There's no cheese in it; they expect you to add your own, but I just skip that step. Chebe is available sometimes from the Bi-Lo on St. Andrews Rd, which has an above-average gluten-free section on aisle 12, the one with the sign reading "New Age Beverages." Other than that, millet is a good couscous substitute, but don't buy it from the bulk bins or you'll get sick, and now you know everything that I know about gluten free living. :)

Once more, with feeling. Here's all the information on the Central SC Celiac Support Group:

Central SC Celiac Support Group, CSA #70

centralscceliac@live.com

we meet:

Capital Senior Center, Maxcy Gregg Pk

1650 Park Circle

Columbia SC

every 3rd Monday at 6:30 PM

call Sandra for details 781-6395

All above is copied from the site. I've talked to Sandra and she's nice. The third Monday this month is the 15th, the day after the picnic referenced in my reply three replies back (if I'm counting correctly).

• 2 weeks later...
Once more, with feeling. Here's all the information on the Central SC Celiac Support Group:

centralscceliac@live.com

we meet:

1650 Park Circle

Columbia SC

All above is copied from the site. I've talked to Sandra and she's nice. The third Monday this month is the 15th, the day after the picnic referenced in my reply three replies back (if I'm counting correctly).

On the remote chance that anybody surfs in between now and tomorrow, I note that there is not in fact a meeting tomorrow (the picnic having taken its place); next meeting is July 20, 2009.

• 3 months later...

Obviously (practically) nobody's looking at this thread but me, but in case somebody surfs in and sees my earlier post I should note that I got glutened at Pho Viet on the return visit. I didn't mention to them this time the importance of making it gluten free (thinking Vietnamese cooking is inherently so); it would probably be worthwhile to go again, but specifically ask for gluten free.

Hi,

I appreciate that it's been a year since anyone posted to the thread, but I'm still having trouble finding the celiac support group in Columbia. I emailed turtle at the address above (actually it was probably on the other Columbia group thread) and received no response. I know there's a group because I met a member not too many months ago but wasn't interested in joining at that time and so foolishly failed to ask for meeting time and place. I'd be very grateful for any information anyone can share.

Note to hoping-gluten-free's-for-me! should you happen to look in on this after a year: Nonnah's, you no doubt found out already, is basically a bakery. Not a lot of scope for gluten-free there. I like Mai Thai on 378 in West Columbia and Pho Viet on Decker in Dentsville. No guarantee that they're completely gluten-free, and cross-contamination is possible, but I never had any problem with either. El Burrito on Harden is mentioned upthread and ought to be a good place for you if you're at USC. Unfortunately, otherwise you mainly need to go to chains and ask for the gluten-free menu (and also for the manager, as s/he will likely be more clued in than the server). Bonefish Grill and Outback are said to be good. Red Lobster and Olive Garden the pits. (Not saying the food is bad; there just is no gluten-free menu.)

• 8 months later...

Nowadays, they meet at 6:30 at Lexington Medical Center, North Tower, classroom #3, W Columbia, SC, at least in the odd-numbered months. On even-numbered months they meet at area restaurants; next one is June 21st at 6 at Z Pizza on Gervais. Still the 3d Monday of the month, either way (6:30 at LMC, 6 at restaurants). Contact information given previously is still good, though Sandra is now emerita chair. The new chair is Rebekah Godfrey; I don't have a number for her, but there's a Contact Us email link at the website.

centralscceliac@live.com

we meet:

1650 Park Circle

Columbia SC

Archived